1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Platform Pedals

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Platform Pedals

As a former roadie I'd fully anticipated buying clipless for my new rig but with what I've been reading it feels like platform may be the way to go. Is weight the key difference between a $50 platform and a$150 platform? I'm 255, I don't think a few grams on the pedals is going to make or break me. Also, what kind of shoes do you wear with platforms?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Also lower profile, better bearings, made not China, Taiwan.
    Generally flat soled shoes with tight tread pattern grip the pins better. Skate shoes usually have good grippy soles, but tend to have flexy bottom so you lose a little in putting power to the pedal. But I've also ridden in deck shoes and my work semi-dress shoes a couple times! Even combat boots back in the days of clips & straps!

since 4/10/2009
    Number and type of pins loosely relates to price, too. In general, grip. Bearings are a biggie, though. Get something that's serviceable.

I have ridden in both hiking shoes and 5.10 Freeriders. The hiking shoes I used weren't horrible, but they definitely weren't as good as the 5.10's. They had more flexible soles and firmer rubber, so grip wasn't quite as good and they were just way too flexible. The Freeriders are still flexible for a bike shoe, but they are stiffer than the hiking shoes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I ride saints pedals and like them overall. I also bought a pair Danny Macaskills fivetens and they are super sticky to the pedals without eating up your sole. Great combo for maximum traction.

mtbr member
    I too had Saints, and although they are plenty grippy and are serviceable, they are also hefty but again their intended audience is the DH and FR crowd. I have had RaceFace Aeffect pedals for about a year now, and they perform as well, are considerably lighter and they too are serviceable. Good luck!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Platform Pedals-dsc02130.jpg  

Platform Pedals-p4pb10782212.jpg  

Last edited by time229er; 12-12-2014 at 11:31 AM.
    2014 Nail Trail 29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    These are good pedals for trailrunners. They have short and rounded pins. Thin, strong, light and not overpriced.
    Pedals with longer sharp pins work best with 5.10 type soles needed for big jumps and dh speeds.
    Origin8 Ultim8 Slimline Platform MTB Pedals, 1 Pair - 9/16", Black

Platform Pedals-origin8.jpg

Wellgo B143 pedals have stubby pins also good for runners and less likely to cut your shins than pedals with long sharp pins.

Name:  B143 wellgo.jpg
Views: 1013
Size:  7.4 KB

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Platform Pedals

My wife rides a pair of specialized aluminum flats that run about $80. Plenty of pins. She has a pair of Vans Gravel that just stick to those pedals. Probably similar to 5.10s.

Bring on the Down Hill!!
    I will jump on the Saints bandwagon here. They are great and the beefiness is great when you smash them off a rock and can barely tell. I have not tried the Raceface listed above but they make great products so I am sure they would be as described. For shoes I wear the Specialized 2FO. Great shoes with little to no flex when compared to the Van skate shoes I used before them.

mtbr member
    I ride Straitline DeFactos with Teva 'Links' shoes.

The straitlines are kinda heavy, but are fully rebuildable and have thus far proven completely indestructible.

I'm pleased with the shoes, they grip well, have proven very durable over the 125-ish miles I've ridden them, and were $36 on Amazon.

mtbr member
    I just got my wife a pair of Raceface Affect pedals. Impressive looking pedals, packaging and come with spare pins. She loved them. They were $92 on Amazon.

I ride clipless, but I think for any pedal weight and depth (to minimize pedal strike) are relevant factors aside from overall quality. For platforms, the overall stickiness would seem to be the most important performance factor.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Deity compound pedals forabout 2 mons now. This is an affordable way t try platform pedals and you get low profile and light weight for $50. If you really like flats then consider spending 100+ on something higher end.

Usually the more epensive flat pedals are thinner, lighter and have better bearings. Brands vary on how wide the surface area is, pin placement, etc. i have spank spikes on another bike and have been using them for 2 years. Love them, but they are more expensive. The spike has a very large surface area.

Only issue I have had with my Deity pedals is you just need to check the pins for tightness.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I am about 10 lbs lighter, size 12-13 shoe. I splurged and bought Canfield Crampon pedals. About $150, but I think they are the best. Held up perfect for my first season on them. Very thin, grippy, wide, and comfortable. Cut my leg a few times on the pins, but price you pay for grip. I ride with old style reebok tennis shoes, but want to get some 510's for Xmas. The crampons are so thin you can almost pedal like clipless with them. They saved my ass a few times as I was going over the bars, but jumped off the pedals and landed on my feet. Lot's of good choices, do a "best flat" search and you will get some other candidates to look at.

Trail Ninja
    The last time I bashed my Spank Spikes (100+) on a few rocks, trying to ride between them like a dork, they barely got scratched. I'm glad I spec'd them on my Enduro 29, as I tend to go plow through before I think about which line would be best, which leads to such carnage.

For my lighter bikes, I think the Deity Compounds (under 50) are unbeatable for the price. Even the replacement parts are super affordable. Only issue I had with them is that they might be the culprit for a slight clicking sound (PF30 bike) that happens about every 1.1 revolution of the crank.

Can only nitpick about the cheap ones honestly. As for shoes, I'm sold on 5.10s. They're so good that they allowed me to completely ditch clipless pedals. I would even be reluctant to use clipless in a race, unless there was a big prize at stake and clipless provided an edge I needed to win.
    Last edited by Varaxis; 12-12-2014 at 09:43 AM.

since 4/10/2009
    I don't like being able to feel the pedal spindle under my foot while riding. Those Origin8's have a rather large bulge at the spindle I would probably feel rather prominently.

I have a pair of these (well, the 2014 Sub4)
    Blackspire - Sub420 Pedals | Blackspire

and a pair of these
    Kona Wah Wah Platform Pedals (100024964) at CambriaBike.com

The Konas are on my commuter. I don't like the pins very much (threads to the end of the pin), but they were free pedals. I used them last winter on my mtb and those pins shredded my winter pants.

I use the Sub4's on my mtb and I like them. Pins are long and grippy, but rounded so they don't shred things just brushing against them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    These are good pedals for trailrunners. They have short and rounded pins. Thin, strong, light and not overpriced.
    Pedals with longer sharp pins work best with 5.10 type soles needed for big jumps and dh speeds.
    Origin8 Ultim8 Slimline Platform MTB Pedals, 1 Pair - 9/16", Black

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	origin8.jpg 
Views:	441 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	945973

Wellgo B143 pedals have stubby pins also good for runners and less likely to cut your shins than pedals with long sharp pins.

Name:  B143 wellgo.jpg
Views: 1013
Size:  7.4 KB
    Those look an awfully lot like Spanks, but Spanks is another way to go. I ride Loaded USA AmXs...

Platform Pedals-ewb-4e8cef298c1b3-product-front-screens.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Platform Pedals

I ride dmr v12 with flat skate shoes. Does the job well and I'm 250lbs never had any problems. Nice and grippy too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Re: Platform Pedals

Got these on ebay pretty cheap ^^ b/c they were yellow/gold more than anything else...

Platform Pedals-uploadfromtaptalk1418434662912.jpg

My weight was 245, now 222...

Also wear these home made shoes ^^

Platform Pedals-uploadfromtaptalk1418434733845.jpg

Work fine together

-------------------------------------
    Opinions are like A-holes... everybody
    has one & they're usually full of...??
    to err is human... to face plant is frickin hilarious!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Canfield Crampons here. DC tennis shoe, for now, 5 10 freeriders coming soon. Pedals work really well. I likey.
    Oldest daughter doesn't ride.

Rogue Exterminator
    I get VP-001 of ebay for about $50 ea (actually just under.
    Great quality, great traction, low profile and light weight (175g ea or 350g for the set).
    the only draw back is the pins are not tight when you get them. Tighten them or you will lose them. Never lost one though if I tightened them.

I have worn just hiking shoes and I was fine.
    Got Astral Kayaking shoes now (they have 5 Ten rubber) and much better.
    I plan on getting some 5 Ten's soon for the colder weather as the Astral's are really lightweight.

Platform Pedals-2013-02-19_16-55-49_963.jpg
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Diety Compounds... $50 (i think?)
    My bike MCA kinda climbs like a billy-goat. WOO WOO!

mtbr member
    I love my Atlases, expensive but worth it and simply beautiful!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I've ridden the Saints, Xpedo Spry, and Canfield Crampons. Saints had horrible grip IMO but people seem to like them. I honestly couldnt wait to get off them, the Xpedos are way better. Canfields feel similar to the Xpedos but grippier pins and more burly.

I am considering HT or VP Carrier pedals. Canfield Crampons are nice but I want a wider platform.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by endy View Post
    I've ridden the Saints, Xpedo Spry, and Canfield Crampons. Saints had horrible grip IMO but people seem to like them. I honestly couldnt wait to get off them, the Xpedos are way better. Canfields feel similar to the Xpedos but grippier pins and more burly.

I am considering HT or VP Carrier pedals. Canfield Crampons are nice but I want a wider platform.
    did you take the washers out and put in the extra pins? With doing that and my 5.10s the grip is crazy. I sometimes think its almost too much as i can't just slide my foot back on the peddle that easily.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I havn't changed anything from how they ship. The grip is actually really really great with 510s., I just get the feeling like my feet and ankles want to roll off outwards and I could use a little more width for stability. My feet naturally want to sit further out and end up partially off the pedals. I read several other people say the same thing before I bought them and now I know what they meant. It's not a huge issue but not confidence inspiring as this comment put it,

It's the Q-factor... I don't have super wide feet, and I use low-top 510 Impacts for most of my trail riding. I felt the platform on these didn't feel wide enough. My shoes were rubbing the crank arms, and the sole of my shoes were hanging off the outside edge. It's not a terrible feeling, but they weren't inspiring confidence. If they were designed with an axle (wrench flats) between the crank and platform, I'm sure I would've liked them more. (Spank Spike pedals also have this problem.)

The good points? Thin and grippy. If you can deal with the narrow feeling they give your bike, you won't be disappointed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by endy View Post
    I havn't changed anything from how they ship. The grip is actually really really great with 510s., I just get the feeling like my feet and ankles want to roll off outwards and I could use a little more width for stability. My feet naturally want to sit further out and end up partially off the pedals. I read several other people say the same thing before I bought them and now I know what they meant. It's not a huge issue but not confidence inspiring as this comment put it,
    oh sorry i was talking about the Saints.. (even though i forgot to mention them!) oops!
    Saints have awesome grip IMO with the washers out and the 5.10s

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast