1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Picking up a new moutain bike today =D

Well maybe =P I've been looking for a good used set up so I can get into mountain biking and I could use some help, I found this bike on cl and I'm going to look at this afternoon. Do you guys think its worth it?

18" trek 6500 disc mountain bike 26"

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Come on guys I'm going to look at this in a few hours, I've been doing some research but I just don't know enough to know if the parts he has on this are legit or not.

mtbr member
    Just my beginners opinion, but I would pass on it. These are my thoughts, but my reasons are:

- Who kows what year that frame is.
    - The fork is a lower end rock shox fork. still a decent fork, but lower end in their line.
    - I don't like the color and the fact that the wheels don't match. (minor, I know)
    - I'd rather you get a factory sold used bike. You never know how legit this guy is or his building skills.
    - That rear disc brake setup looks suspect.

Still your call though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for the feedback jason. The forks and the rear breaks were my main concern with it, I'm not to worried about color or looks, for now I just want something decent that can take a beating for a little while, but I think I'll hold off and see what else I can find.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'd go ride it. The fork is good if you weigh 175 or less because of 28mm stantions. Better than low end Suntour. Offer a little less cash if it fits you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    ^ I was thinking that, but I'm at 185lbs so it sounds like I need something with some stronger forks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm biased as I own one, but an extra $50 gets you this Airborne Bicycles. Skyhawk

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    skip it.. t hat is way overpriced.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'd pass. Everything points to a parts bin bike. I'm always suspect when I notice things that aren't right. Like the QR are clamped pointed down. In over 20 years of riding I've never been in such a hurry that I've done that.

The rear wheel, if you look close the axle isn't seated all the way into the drop out. Why? is that home made disc adapter causing interference.
    If that adapter isn't done right, it will stress the chain stay improperly and can cause a failure.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I passed on it, Thanks to everyone I'm pretty sure you guys just saved me a lot of frustration.
    I'm gonna look around a bit more this weekend, if nothing pops up I think I'll go with the skyhawk coxinio posted, that looks like a pretty good deal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Did you see this one? Marin Mountain Bike for sale
    Can you come up a little on budget, this one does say best offer
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    So I upped my budget a little and found a Haro X6 extreme. Picking it up this afternoon for $500 plus a few things I had lying round to bridge the gap in the price. Let me know what you guys think.

x6 extreme comp mountain bike *make an offer!*

mtbr member
    Looks good, have fun!

mtbr member
    That Haro looks schweet! I would jump on that deal easy...I paid more for my Trek hardtail...I regret not looking around for a used bike on craigslist, 'cause I could sure use a full suspension!
    "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Missed out on the X6, the sob sold it before I could get out of work even though we had agreed on a deal =/. Damn job always screwing with my life, but what can you do.
    I found a 2011 diamondback overdrive for a pretty good price, so I think I'm gonna get that and try to work on upgrading to the haro x6 down the road, I'm really liking that bike.
    Wish me luck really hope it works out this time, stating to get frustrated with these cl clowns.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    be patient, the deals will come. you can always go the ebay route. won't cost you driving time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Got the overdrive! It's def not the x6 and I have a feeling I'm gonna end up destroying it, but for $250 you can't beat it.
    It's actually a really fun bike, I took it for a quick ride and I think it'll be perfect to get me back into riding.
    Hopefully I won't destroy it before I save up for a real bike.

Don't have any good pics now, so I'll get some up tomorrow.
    Thanks for everyone's help, I hope to soon be able to do the same for others.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Loving the overdrive, great xc bike even did well on some slightly tougher trails.

Picking up a new moutain bike today =D-null_zps41b244b0.jpg

Picking up a new moutain bike today =D-null_zpscd3fd425.jpg

Picking up a new moutain bike today =D-null_zps3bfcca08.jpg