1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2013

Picking between bikes

I know you guys get this a million times a day but i have tried to search and read the reviews but need some help still.

I visited the Local Bike Shop and narrowed down between 3 bikes.

1. Brand new (they would have to order) Specialized Hardrock Disc26 $490

2. 2011 Specialized Hardrock 29er Disc in the famous smurf Blue $400

3. Raleigh Talus 3.0 $409

I know that there is a 29er in there so that is the oddball out. I picked the 26 on the new bike due to price (im a firefighter so i don't have much of a budget) and also i work on our Police Bicycle team and we are issued Trek 3700 Disc's so im used to the 26in wheel. Now I know it comes down to fit and comfort but is there a deal or bike in this group that stands out in a very good or very bad way. Im just looking for some help narrowing it down as this is my first bike purchase.

mtbr member
    Where are you going to ride the thing?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Sorry guess that is pretty important info. I live in Myrtle Beach SC so there won't be any serious mountain trails here at the beach. Mostly around the town, quite a bit of road/sandy roads. I'd like to do some exploring off road in the woods near me and on our old air force base we have in town. We have a few more serious off road trail courses that I will problem be headed to 4 or so times a month.

mtbr member
    I stick with my call on the 29er. I know I'll get hate mail for saying this but the bigger wheel will give you more stamina, smoother ride, and push through tree roots (etc.) better. 26" would be more of a benefit if you were riding tight single track.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    So the price and setup on that bike would be a good start for me? The bike appears to be in brand new condition and I don't think I would order the smurf blue but I also don't dislike it.

mtbr member
    Also, failed to mention... a high volume tire like the 2.4 Conti Trail King on the front wheel will help keep you stable through sand drifts. Just make sure it will fit on the bike before you buy.

Titanium junkie
    How tall are you?
    How long have you been riding?
    What is your weight?
    Questions that need answered before help can be given......
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

Rogue Exterminator
    Too much money for the Talus.
    REI sells the Talus 3.0 for $379 and they are pretty much an MSRP dealer.
    However if you are a member you get 10% cash back.
    Also their guarantee is unbeatable.

The Hardrock 26 disk is a good price.

Is the Hardrock 29er new old stock or a used bike?
    If it is used, that is too much.
    If it is new old stock, you decide but msrp was $600 on that bike for that year.

As far as which one is best, that depends on you.
    They are all pretty comparable component wise.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I am 5'11 about 145. I've only been riding for a short time, I decided to get into it after taking the LEBA police bike officer class. Being that I've taken that and worked as that I am pretty comfortable on a bike. The 29er is used but appears to only have been used a few times. I'm also open to other suggestions if there is a better choice. I would like the best deal for my $. I am the type that gets into something and wants to have decent equipment I don't want to be investing a another bike by next summer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Bike Blue Book is a source for used prices and puts the HR Sport Disc 29 at 352, so 400 ask is in the right range. It has a bike path and easy trail fork which would be ok until you start to ride more difficult/fun trails with rocks, roots and steeps.

Rogue Exterminator
    Personally, I think that is a little much for a used Hardrock 29er no matter what the condition.

Listing Detail - Bicycle Blue Book

If I really wanted it, I might pay a little more than bluebook but not almost $200 more.

That being said, figure out what type of bike you want, figure out your budget, and go from there.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks for the help so far I'm going to check out the last bike shop in town, they are a trek dealer I believe. With the 29er I guess u guys seem to think that's too much so I'm starting to lean towards the new hardrock 26 disc. Every bike so far seemed to fit and was comfortable to ride so Ill check out the last shop and let you guys know.

mtbr member
    Check Craigslist for more affordable 29er options... Or haggle a bit

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by LB412 View Post
    Check Craigslist for more affordable 29er options... Or haggle a bit
    Agreed

You never know, some people price way high because they think they will get beaten down in price. Some people just don't know they are priced too high.

If you show him the blue book, he may take it down to that price.
    If it is really in as good as shape as you say, I may be willing to go up to $350 but I would still show them the bluebook value and offer them $300 and see how close you can get to that.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks everyone I really appreciate the help. The used bike was at a local bike shop and he had it marked 450 and I got him to 400 so ill go in and see what I can do. I've been all over Craigslist but being a flat area and beach town it's not much help unless I want a beach cruiser lol. Like I said I'm gonna check out the last store and see what they have to offer, it's killing me now being at work and seeing my police bike here knowing I don't have one at home yet.