1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Picked up my new entry bike

So I picked up my second entry level bike which I feel is a major step up from what I have been using. Have been using a ***** diamondback response xe 08 model. Today I picked up a 13 Raleigh talus 29 sport. Much better components and feel than the diamondback. I know still entry but def am upgrade for me. Here she is. Picked it up while 15 percent off at the LBS while they are trying to make room for new bikes.

Here is old
    Picked up my new entry bike-imageuploadedbytapatalk1375050409.938182.jpg

Here is my new one as of today

Picked up my new entry bike-imageuploadedbytapatalk1375050437.091163.jpg
    Last edited by 93civEJ1; 07-28-2013 at 07:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Congratulations on the new ride.

mtbr member
    Slick looking bike! Love the green rims...congrats!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Rogue Exterminator
    Slick ride, like the colors.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Nice looking bike, don't forget the ride report...
    1997 Haro Vector V3 - 2003 Giant OCR 3 - 2013 Dawes Haymaker 1500 - 2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Nice looking bike!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    just out in the neighborhood it feels great. Shifts great, and just great feel.
    I tested a cannondale trail 5 29er that I wanted to fall in love with that was solid lime green frame with black stickers, and was actually what I was leaning toward until I test rode the 2 against each other. As soon as I took off / sat down on this one I knew instantly that it was hands down the winner.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Took it to the local trails yesterday. I am still starting out, but this thing was much harder to ride to me compared to my 26. It is because I am used to only having a 7 speed rear compared to 9. I cant figure out the right gear to climb hills. I either get geared too low to where I want to pop wheels everywhere...or I gear to high to where its too tough to peddle.
    Its hard to get my feet planted on the ground if I lose my balance where the wheel size is different. I fell backward down a hill last night because i flipped backward and then couldnt get my feet on the ground, so I landed on my back.

I have lots of learning. The first day I stayed more pissed off while riding the 29er than anythign.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 93civEJ1 View Post
    Took it to the local trails yesterday. I am still starting out, but this thing was much harder to ride to me compared to my 26. It is because I am used to only having a 7 speed rear compared to 9. I cant figure out the right gear to climb hills. I either get geared too low to where I want to pop wheels everywhere...or I gear to high to where its too tough to peddle.
    Its hard to get my feet planted on the ground if I lose my balance where the wheel size is different. I fell backward down a hill last night because i flipped backward and then couldnt get my feet on the ground, so I landed on my back.

I have lots of learning. The first day I stayed more pissed off while riding the 29er than anythign.
    That's why I am on a 650b.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I condsidered one. Didnt really see many options yet locally.

mtbr member

Re: Picked up my new entry bike

Quote Originally Posted by Clicker1 View Post
    That's why I am on a 650b.
    Uhhhh... ok?

29ers definitely take some getting used to coming from a 26. As far as finding the right gear goes, that just comes with time. Eventually you will get to the point where you'll instinctively know the right gear to be in based on the grade and length of the hill.

And as far as the going over backwards while climbing, that's kind of the opposite effect ive experienced since going to 29. I have a little harder time pulling up the front end to get over obstacles, but love how the front wheel stays planted on climbs. You could try lowering your bars, that will help keep that front end down.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Nice. Looks like you have a nice Tacoma too!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Lol thanks. Good eye. Yeah. 09 four door on 37s

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Cool I have a 99 with 33s and arb lockers front and rear

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gregers05 View Post
    Cool I have a 99 with 33s and arb lockers front and rear
    Nice man!!

Ok, so anyone tell me what exactly type of bike the Raleigh Talus 29'ers are for? I am all confused on what bikes are made for what. I like to just ride trails with roots and ruts and mud and rocks and yada yada...i see lots of bikes made for crosscountry, some for all mountain, etc. What type of bike did i buy? I know a 29er hard tail...but what are they mainly used for?

Perpetual n00b

Quote Originally Posted by 93civEJ1 View Post
    Nice man!!

Ok, so anyone tell me what exactly type of bike the Raleigh Talus 29'ers are for? I am all confused on what bikes are made for what. I like to just ride trails with roots and ruts and mud and rocks and yada yada...i see lots of bikes made for crosscountry, some for all mountain, etc. What type of bike did i buy? I know a 29er hard tail...but what are they mainly used for?
    Yes! Another Raleigh rider!

The Talus is considered a cross country hardtail. Long stays and "steep" head angle. They are used for hauling arse through tree-lined single track. YMMV
    If you gorge yourself into morbid obesity, you can skip everyone else in line at Disney World.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Depends on the weight, geo, fork travel and quality, wheel width and weight, tires.....the rider makes the most difference.
    The Raleigh is setup for easy trails and bike paths. You can take it anywhere you want.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    what is considered an easy trail though? Lol...most trails are HARD to me right now. full of rocks, roots, stumps etc...haha. Id love to find one that just flows with rolling ups and downs with little climbs...Im too fat right now.

mtbr member
    Look into joining a local mountain bike club. That's how I found out about some great trails in my region (southeast PA).

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

We have one main one here that I can tell. Right now it's just me and my buddy trying to learn together and ride the trails. I'm not too keen on clubbing it yet with being a complete newb at these trails

mtbr member
    I'm a 62 yr old rookie that usually rides solo. The local clubs have great information and maps on their websites. They even hold beginner rides at various times and places.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I am not much on riding solo. I know on the trails my buddy and I usually have a good gap between us on lots of parts due to me getting tired easily due to being a little heavy. So its almost like riding solo at times.