1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Phantom shifting fix?

GF has had her bike into the LBS 3 times because of phantom shifting from the X5 RD. They've replaced the chain, replaced the cable, adjusted the RD, and recently told her the RD hanger was bent and that was the cause. Still doing it mostly when in the front middle chainring and about the middle gears of the rear. I'm waiting for a new hanger to come in. Any other ideas? May end up just getting a new RD and trying that.

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Maybe the chain is too long?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles
    That depends. Can you go fvck yourself?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    It's interesting that the lbs is putting a new hanger on it. You can align a hanger, and even new ones need checking. Replacing it wouldn't be unusual if the hanger was bent so much that the der was in the spokes.

Here's the tool and directions. You can check it yourself by holding a straight edge against the face of the hanger and measuring the distance to the rim with a ruler.

Park Tool Co. ParkTool Blog Rear Derailleur Hanger Alignment

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'd be a bit scared of that LBS if they're just now thinking the hanger is suspect. Checking hanger alignment should be part of a shifting tuneup, especially if you're having shifting issues beforehand. If it's much out of whack you'll never get it shifting correctly and as rlouder mentioned it needs to be done on the new one also just to make sure it's good to go.

Larry

mtbr member

temporary fix?

If you just want a temporary fix until the new hanger comes in,you try tweaking hanger with a crescent wrench...I've done it a few times after bending hangers...worse thing that could happen is you bend hanger too much and it breaks,which shouldn't be a problem if it's already that bent. good luck!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I've aligned my hanger with a crescent wrench several times (checking with straightedge), and it seems good as new. I suppose bending it severely or continued small bangs on it will weaken it over time, but I plan to keep it aligned until it breaks.

Make sure you ask for the old hanger. You can use it for a trail side repair in case you break the new one.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    weird shifting issues almost always involve a bent hanger. even if you can't see it, putting the alignment tool on there will show you the truth. if i can't get a bike to shift well quickly and easily, even if the hanger looks straight, i'll put the tool on it and 99% of the time it needs a little adjustment.

wtf kinda shop is this that the third time is when they worry about the hanger? perhaps she's laid the bike down driveside (crashing or not) in between. more details please.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Phantom shifting fix

She has crashed a few times going off the side of a couple of bridges and log overs. I would guess that is where it got screwed up. I'm probably going to take it with me to another bike shop for them to look at it. The LBS also replaced the chain. She wanted to take it there because that is where she bought it. I can understand keeping it local but after 3 visits I just don't feel like they know what they're doing. Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    same issue with my bike (happed to be an x5 der too). turned out it was a bent hanger- the mechanic straighten it and i was good to go. good luck!
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

Don't ride a Trek anymore
    Sep 2008
    sometimes this can be partially caused by running a bad chainline... check the number of spacers on the bottom bracket and make sure she avoids running the chain in a gear combination that puts it at much of an angle compared to the rest of the drivetrain... ie, dont run small-small or big-big gear combos, or any combos that are really close to those two