1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Are pedals universal?

I recently bought an Gary Fisher Mako as an introductory bike to the sport, and I like it. I haven't really taken it on any real trails yet but I was was just playing in the rocks and mud by some old train tracks before, and my feet kept slipping off the plastic pedals.

I own a halfway decent Diamondback BMX bike and I like its pedals a lot. Can I remove them and put them on the Mako?

Is there any reason why I shouldn't do this?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    yes the pedal are interchangable. But they are specific to a side. I believe the left (non drive side) is reverse threaded.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Alright, thanks for the quick reply. I'll make sure to keep them orientated.

usually cranky
    yeah usually. one peice cranks use 1/2 inch threads however.

Professional Speed Bump
    BMX pedals are commonly 1/2" thread.

Mountain bike pedals are mostly 9/16" thread.

Most likely they won't fit but it doesn't take much to switch them around so try them, they might just fit depending on the crankset type that is on your BMX.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Hmm, I'll look into that (about to go ride the bike some more). I ended up leaving the stock pedals on; the BMX ones are kind of worn (rode that bike for like 5 years). I might just wait until the stock pedals are worn down and replace them... but I'll look into it.

Any more insight would be welcomed though!

mtbr member
    BMX type pedals are the way to go (unless you go clipless). Look around a bit on the internet. You can get solid pedals like DMR V8 for about $30. If you go that route and plan to play on rocks/stunts, I'd recommend to buy shin guards, too. Just in case you do slip...

... I did slip recently off of a DMR V8 on landing a jump (hadn't happened in a year at least). As a result my shin guards have two neat holes. But better the guards than the bones.
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    +1 on shin guards. Slipped off the pedals at Rays earlier this week:

Professional Speed Bump
    Quote Originally Posted by emtnate
    +1 on shin guards. Slipped off the pedals at Rays earlier this week:

Looks like someone spilled some strawberry jam on your marble floor.

I Have Cookies
    Quote Originally Posted by captainjoon
    BMX pedals are commonly 1/2" thread.

Mountain bike pedals are mostly 9/16" thread.

Most likely they won't fit but it doesn't take much to switch them around so try them, they might just fit depending on the crankset type that is on your BMX.
    Bmx's with one piece cranks are 1/2" the others are 9/16" like every thing else. Wallygooses with one piece cranks (mtn and cruisers ect) are all 1/2"
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Well, I'll look into shin pads for sure. I've played a lot of ice hockey so I know the value of them all too well.

So I looked up some BMX pedals, and I see that you can choose the size of the threads. I might order a set tomorrow, I broke the bike in a bit today and rode about 20 miles... only complaint I really have is the pedals. Does anyone have any recommendations for pedals besides the DMR V8s? I would assume they're all relatively similar, but I'm not spending much more than $30 on pedals.

And could someone link me to a site that is reputable and known to be trustworthy to buy from?
    Last edited by StealingYerMail; 04-10-2010 at 12:34 AM.