1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: pedals

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

pedals

is there difference between road bike shoes and mtn bike shoes

what clipless and the other option

i just need some basic info on sticking feet to bikes

Bikeoholic

basics

So pedals you can have flat pedals toe clips then clipless pedals.

Flat pedals are just your basic pedal with nothing holding the foot on...
    Toe clips have a cage or strap holding your foot on.

clipless pedals have some sort of "cleat" attaching the shoe to the pedal. There are numerous different types / brands of clipless pedals. These aren't all compatable with one another. Concerning cleat type it is pretty specific (i.e. the cleat which goes on the shoe is specific to a given type of pedal such as crank bros cleats work with crankbros pedals but not with shimano pedals. There some exceptions to this...

Concerning shoes as I understand it mountain shoes have become standardized with a hole mounting pattern for the cleat. And for the most part road shoes have this same pattern, the main difference I can tell is that road shoes are made for aerodynamics, cooling, and stiffness. They have no or next to no tread. Mountain bike shoes have tread in abundance for getting off and being able to walk in the mud.....

that what I think I know about pedals...
    -Palek
    Ride Today...
    ...You might not be able to tomorrow

Endurance Junkie
    Sep 2005
    Road shoe cleats are very obtrusive from the bottom of the shoe. Mountain bike cleats are recessed on the bottom of the shoe. This makes it easier to walk in mountain shoes. The pedals are designed differently and serve their purposes well. Mountain pedals are designed to be smaller and shed mud well. Road pedals are designed for the most efficient transfer between the shoe and bike. They tend to have larger platforms to prevent hot spots that can be caused by riding long distances with mountain shoes.