1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Pedal Upgrade Suggestion?

Hello everyone

I recently bought a haro escape 2007 and right now I have all stock parts. I do xc riding, but I think getting some clipless pedals may help with getting up hills. But the escape is a pretty beefy ride and I am not looking for a tiny egg beater type pedal. I was thinking crank brother's mallet c. Is this a good idea? I can get up slopes all right, but on one trail I have to rest a couple times. My goal is to get to the top without getting off my bike to rest, and I think that getting some clipless pedals may increase my pedaling power. Thanks for the responses

local trails rider
    I love my Time ATAC pedals: they are easy, reliable and durable. They are bigger than Eggbeaters but not really a platform pedal. I can pedal unclipped in a pinch, if I miss the clip in. Time Z should be a pretty decent clipless pedal with a platform too.

CHO Farmer
    Mar 2007
    Go with the Mallet C's. Great pedal. These were my first clipless pedals and I love them. I have had them for about 2 months and they are rock solid. Clipless are great. It's nice to be able to push down on one crank and be able to pull up on the other.
    Just watch out when you need to abandon ship. I forgot I was clipped in yesterday and I would have rather to have not gone down with the ship. But otherwise they are great! Good luck.

mtbr member
    In my opinion, the best "first" set of clipless pedals are the Shimano PD-M520's. Easy in, Easy out, and very adjustable

1.21 Jigowatts!
    I have only owned one par of clipless pedals. Speedplay Frogs. They have been on my old bike for many years. I've always been happy with them.
    '07 Giant Anthem 2
    '07 Giant Yukon
    '95 Diamondback WCF Vertex

The Yard Sale King.

If you are looking at the Mallet C...

...You may also want to consider the shimano PD-M647. I had a pair similar to these (M545) for a while. They also have a platform, but I found the bindings more adjustable and easier to get in and out of than the Mallets. Just a thought.

My current pedals are the M970 and I love them. Much lighter than a platform-type clipless, but offer enough beef to for pedaling while not clipped in if necessary. These share a similar design to the more affordable M540 and M520 (just higher bling quotient).

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

may have to alter shoe

I have used both Mallets and Time Z's. I found I had to grind away some tread to clip in and out smoothly. They are both solid. Good if you do jumps and moderate drops. If you do mainly XC I'd suggest Crankbrothers Candy (or cheaper Smarty) or Time Atacs (Aliums are cheaper and heavier than XS). Both are much lighter than the platform-type Mallets and Z's.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for all the replies. My bike is already near 30 pounds so I dont think weight is an issue, and little dinky pedals would look out of place on my bike. But anyways I will be researching all of your suggestions.

Me hates pinchflat
    if these are your first clipless, I would recommend shimano. They have the adjustable tension, so you can put them very loose to adapt yourself to them.

Oh and 30 pounds is not that heavy. My weighs around 39, plus my ff helmet hanging from the handlebar. Yes, I still do 3 hours of climbing to get to the good stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha
    "jesus would huck it"
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    i have found the 1.5" headtubes to be slightly larger in diameter than 1 1/8", plus or minus

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    are there any platform clipless pedals from shimano similar to the mallet c?

Afric Pepperbird
    Another plug for Time Atac's. The best I've ever used. They're very easy to use and have nice float

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fisherdude4eva
    are there any platform clipless pedals from shimano similar to the mallet c?
    PD-M647 / PD-M424

mtbr member
    I second Brubakes suggestion. Speedplay frogs are the only pedals I use, mountain or road. Why I like Frogs-

-no springs so they don't hurt your knees- float, float, float
    -step and in you're in, twist and you're out- that simple, no adjustments, no chance you'll turn an adjustment screw the wrong way and be unable to clip out
    -user serviceable bearings- you can lube them; you can replace them when they wear
    -they don't get clogged with dirt, twigs, etc., locking you in or out- self cleaning works because the mechanism is so simple

The disadvantages-

-with all that float they don't work with all shoes. See the chart at speeplay.com
    -your feet are locked to those pedals until you twist out. This is actually an advantage, but a newbie panic pull won't get you anywhere.

If you're going with clipless, regardless of what you choose, clip out any time something funny happens, and clip out any time you slow to walking speed. Sitting there looking cool clipped in while leaning against something is a sure prescription for eating dirt as a hotty walks by. It takes a while to learn to use them. I was told I'd fall three times learning, and I fell three times- twice in embarrassing situations.
    To the troll mobile, away...