1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Pedal Upgrade-But no straps?

Here's a question:

I just purchased a Kona Cindercone. I got them to upgrade the pedals. But they didn't put any straps or cages on them, as they said they don/t recommend them.

What's the deal here?

MTBR Demi-God
    What pedals were you having before? What did they change it to? Is it just a regular, BMX style platform pedal? Or does the pedal have some sort of mechanism (with springs) in there?

If there is a "mechanism" in the pedal, then what you have is called a Clipless pedal. They do not need straps, but they do need a set of cleats attached to the shoes. These cleats click into the groove of the pedal.
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I believe they are termed "platform". Possibly the Kona Jackshit Pedals.

They are not the clipless pedal, as I didn't want to buy the special shoes (what a pain I though).

MTBR Demi-God
    So you had platform pedals to begin with, and your LBS upgraded the pedals to another platform pedals? Then likely the newer ones are lighter, made of better material, are gripper, or something along those lines. If you could tell what the brand name and model numbers are (of the one you had, and the new ones) maybe someone can help you out on telling whats the exact difference.
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yes. Basically the originals were puny plastic pieces of junk with straps . These are Large aluminum ones with set screws that can be adjusted for grip, they feel great.

My question is really, are straps not so great like the LBS told me?

Rod
    Definitely because if you crash you don't want your feet to be strapped onto the pedals. You would definitely get more bruises and broken bones.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Okay, sounds good and logical!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I dunno if you can get straps onto big platform pedals, but IMO toeclips/straps are definitely -not- anymore dangerous than clipless.

Having just switched from several years of riding with clips to riding with clipless, I feel that the main difference is a little more bling factor and a little more leverage with the clipless. But I have fallen a lot with clips, and they have never been any more difficult to get out of than clipless.

Maybe straps wouldn't work well with the better pedals they sold you, or maybe the shop prefers the 150$ solution to a 10$ pair of clips, but it isn't a safety decision.
    A warning: I only post when I've been drinking, unless it is during the day when I am distracted by more important things.

I just let one RIP
    I also rode for a couple years using toe-clips / straps. I switched to clipless a few years ago and haven't looked back, so much better.

But toe clips are definitely better than plain platforms, and they are not any less safer. The whole "they aren't as safe if you fall" is spouted about by a bunch of pansies. There are quite a few who only ride plain platforms because they are unreasonably afraid of toe-clips or clipless pedals. For an XC bike, toe clips or clipless is the only way to go, so you can get a full pedal revolution--you'll be able to get much more power and efficiency out of each pedal stroke.

It can be difficult to install toe-clips on some platform pedals. Looking at the Kona pedals you mentioned, I can see that they may be a pedal that is difficult to get the toe-clips to play nice because of the "lip" that is on the front of them.

mtbr member
    i would think that straps are much more dangerous than the clips. i have never ridden either( my first good bike had straps but i junked them without even riding with them) but i have seen good riders actually click out and bail with clips before they even hit the ground. i dont think you have a chance with straps in that case. Try out the platforms, unless you ride very rough terrain that throws your feet of the pedals or just want to only ride xc type trails. if you like doing occasional street rides, and maybe some jumping then deffinentaly consider the platforms.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    "i would think that straps are much more dangerous than the clips. i have never ridden either"

Not to dog on you, but if you haven't ridden on either, how would you know?
    A warning: I only post when I've been drinking, unless it is during the day when I am distracted by more important things.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Krellmachine
    "i would think that straps are much more dangerous than the clips. i have never ridden either"

Not to dog on you, but if you haven't ridden on either, how would you know?
    thats why i said i have never ridden with either, but think about it, with straps, unless the straps are loose your not going to be able to pull your foot out, but with clips you can click out and bail. the only reason i ever said anything was to suggest that maybe he should give the platforms.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Krellmachine
    I dunno if you can get straps onto big platform pedals, but IMO toeclips/straps are definitely -not- anymore dangerous than clipless.

Having just switched from several years of riding with clips to riding with clipless, I feel that the main difference is a little more bling factor and a little more leverage with the clipless. But I have fallen a lot with clips, and they have never been any more difficult to get out of than clipless.

Maybe straps wouldn't work well with the better pedals they sold you, or maybe the shop prefers the 150$ solution to a 10$ pair of clips, but it isn't a safety decision.
    I never saw a clipless pedal get snagged on a root or branch, but Ive seen it happen with straps. also if you want to pedal without being strapped in , the strap usually ends up on the bottom, with clipless dont clip in