1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Pedal strike is Killing me!

I went on my second MTB ride ever today and I realized that I have a major problem with pedal strike! How normal is this problem? .... or am I alone on this one...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You will learn to read the trail and either steer to avoid it or get the pedals in the right position to miss the obstacle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by OllieQ View Post
    I went on my second MTB ride ever today and I realized that I have a major problem with pedal strike! How normal is this problem? .... or am I alone on this one...
    You will get used to it. I had this problem when I first started as well...

mtbr member

Re: Pedal strike is Killing me!

Gotta move your pedals to miss the rocks, or whatever it is that you are hitting. It does happen sometimes though.

When I was on flats, it didn't bother me much. But now, I don't want to ruin my new SPD's, so I really try to avoid this.
    “You see us? We’re the people kicking your a*s. Fear us, because we will kill you, motherfu*ker,”*

-Chris Kyle

mtbr member
    ^ I blamed the trail at first, but it was just timing of my stroke.

mtbr member
    Yeah I try and keep my pedals mid stroke but I find I lose way too much speed so I try and pedal.. thus leading me to pedal strike.. As long as it I get better I guess I wont have a problem..

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by OllieQ View Post
    Yeah I try and keep my pedals mid stroke but I find I lose way too much speed so I try and pedal.. thus leading me to pedal strike.. As long as it I get better I guess I wont have a problem..
    You have to look ahead and choose your line, know what you are going to need to do. That way you'll know that you need more speed through a section that you can't pedal through.
    “You see us? We’re the people kicking your a*s. Fear us, because we will kill you, motherfu*ker,”*

-Chris Kyle

mtbr member
    My first bike was too low and hit the pedals all over the place. I sold it and bought a taller bike (high BB). Problem solved. Even an inch more BB height makes a huge difference.

Its usually a problem going up, where pedaling is required. Ratcheting the pedals isnt always an option.

Genius
    This is one of the skills you will learn to master in time. Before you know it, it will be second nature and you'll be timing your pedal placement and not even thinking about it. Keep riding and keep practicing.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bobby9 View Post
    This is one of the skills you will learn to master in time. Before you know it, it will be second nature and you'll be timing your pedal placement and not even thinking about it. Keep riding and keep practicing.
    Yup!

Like desert guy said, look ahead and plan your line. I don't know if you do this or not yet, but you need to be looking ahead down the trail, not just inform of your front wheel. Looking ahead will allow you time your stroke. Even if you have to stop for a stroke or two, it's no big deal. You just have to time it right to clear the obstacle.

When you get good at that, before you know it you'll be able to ride through rock gardens by doing little half strokes.

But even so, it'll still happen every once in a while. Sometimes you just don't see all the obstacles, or they're covered by grass or brush. As long s you don't strike hard enough to fall, it's all good!
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

mtbr member
    Some bikes are just too low for some people and their trails. Its hard to say without knowing what the guy is on. If its like a 11.5 inch bb, thats gonna be a pain on rocky trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I used to ride a few bikes w/ notoriously low BBs and learned to master the half-stroke or ratcheting techniquie through tech sections.
    A big part of being able to do this is to be riding in a fairly high gear, so you have something to push against. If you're trying to run a 'spinny' high-rpm gear, it makes doing this much harder. You want to be able to give a quick 6" push on the pedal and feel the bike accelerate.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    I used to ride a few bikes w/ notoriously low BBs and learned to master the half-stroke or ratcheting techniquie through tech sections.
    A big part of being able to do this is to be riding in a fairly high gear, so you have something to push against. If you're trying to run a 'spinny' high-rpm gear, it makes doing this much harder. You want to be able to give a quick 6" push on the pedal and feel the bike accelerate.
    This is something I need to practice.

-Chris Kyle

local trails rider
    When I need power - and there is an object that prevents a full pedal stroke - I try to
    1) keep up some speed before the tight spot
    2) time it right
    3) backpedal, or ratchet, quickly at the tight moment.
    That way, I don't lose power for more than a split second.

edit:
    oh yes, I usually ride singlespeed, so I'm never in a really low gear. It seems to me that being in a slightly hard gear can be better in many bumpy areas.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Ride a fixed gear on the road for a while and you'll learn very quickly to be aware of your pedal positions.