1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Pedal Sizes?

mtbr member
    May 2006

New question here. Pedal Sizes?

I'm confused over pedal sizes? :mad2:

whats the difference between them?

i'm not sure what size my current ones are, but i want to upgrade because there Plastic.

I have a TRUVATIV 2006 ISOFLOW 8 SPEED CHAINSET and WELLGO LU-C25 Pedals.
    They came as standard on my GT Avalanche 2.0 06.

What size pedals should i be looking for, for the IsoFlow Crank arms?

Can anyone help?

ride hard take risks

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yeah sorry i meant the thread size!

the crankset ive got is a one piece set and i read somewhere that all one piece sets have a smaller thread 4 the pedals?

do all MTB cranks use 9/16th then?

mtbr member
    Unless I am missing something here your crankset is a three piece set. I don't think anybody uses one piece sets unless you buy something really, really cheap.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Oh! ok, well it came standard on my GT so i dont really no much about it.

so would u say its best to look for 9/16 pedals then?

Different brand pedals and cranks usually compatable with eachother?

(If you havnt already guessed, iam new to Mountain biking so bare with me : ) )

ride hard take risks
    Almost all 2 & 3 piece cranks are 9/16, one piece is 1/2. Been checking those BMX sites out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by russleewood
    Oh! ok, well it came standard on my GT so i dont really no much about it.

so would u say its best to look for 9/16 pedals then?

Different brand pedals and cranks usually compatable with eachother?

(If you havnt already guessed, iam new to Mountain biking so bare with me : ) )
    Hey, don't sweat it. That is why we are all here. To learn something new and to help each other out. Yes, look for 9/16th's pedals. Have fun with your new bike.

local trails rider
    Do you have a problem with your pedals, except for the material (plastic)? Unless you have an improvement in mind (clipless, better traction for your shoes), go ahead and ride those pedals until you destroy them.

Then go to a bike shop with your bike and tell them you need pedals for "this".

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yeah actually there is another reason! i kinda had an accident and the pedal came of while stripping the thread from my crank arm!

only had the bike 10mins

my fault tho, placed the pedals on my bike loosly while i sorted out the wheels and handle bars, then went out for a ride forgeting bout the pedals not being on fully! :blush2:

basically was really gunning it when i decided to stand up and give it some more....
    then....the pedal just gave in!!

i went under the bike, it landed ontop of me and we went sliding accross the floor with me on my back.

checked my bike, not one scratch apart from the thread on both the crank arm and pedal being ruined.

so i've jst ordered the same crank as my old one, but when it came to buying new pedals i suddenly became confused by sizes an that!

so..joined this forum!

thanks everyone for the help!

Forum now bookmarked and will be a regular visit for me!