1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Pedal Grease

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Pedal Grease

I recently bought a set of pedals and they just arrived today. I was wondering if my teflon lube would work for the grease or WD40. if not what do I need to get?

I post too much.
    NEVER use WD40 on a bike. EVER. It is a solvent with some oil in it, so in the end whatever you sprayed it with will end up corroding MUCH faster if you leave it on.

You need grease, usually a teflon based grease works well, ask your LBS if your grease will work well.

Please, don't put WD40 on your bike, it'll thank you later down the road.

I post too much.
    NEVER use WD40 on a bike. EVER. It is a solvent with some oil in it, so in the end whatever you sprayed it with will end up corroding MUCH faster if you leave it on.

You need grease, usually a teflon based grease works well, ask your LBS if your grease will work well.

Please, don't put WD40 on your bike, it'll thank you later down the road.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    thanks for the reply, but is grease the same thing as lube? I have dry teflon lube.

mtbr member
    You want to use grease, not chain lube. Pick up some Park Polylube 1000 http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/128...-Lubricant.htm

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Grease is generally more viscous than lube and is used in different applications. Grease is also generally used in applications where lube will degrade wear off or dry out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I saw a post and some guy said he used mobil 1 automobile grease, so I went to auto zone and picked up a can of general use grease. I think it worked good. The grease seemed harder than goopy.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by fisherdude4eva
    mobil 1 automobile grease
    Sounds about right. The main thing is you have something between the metal surfaces that will not evaporate or flow away. It does not have to say "for professional cyclists" on the container...

Muhuhahaha
    I use the park tool grease. I bought the pint size can. It will last me for a while.