1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    rjx
    mtbr member

Pedal Dilemma (Easton, Straitline, Deity)

First off, my dilemma is that my new bike should be ready for pick up tomorrow (Thursday) or Friday. And I don’t drive, so I am going to ride it home (17 miles). Thankfully there is a trail that starts near the shop and ends near my house. So in order to ride home I need pedals!

I have looked at about 20 threads regarding flat pedals. I like pretty much everything I have read about the Straitline’s, but I would prefer something less expensive. I would like something light and thin, but it’s not a necessity. My main concerns are durability, needs to have a big surface and of course grip well. I also don’t care about pedal bling.

The Wellgo MG-1 seems nice, but I don’t like what I have read about the magnesium being soft and pins coming out. Perhaps that has all been overblown. $79.27 2-day shipping gets it to my door on Friday.

I was going to bite the bullet and order a pair of Straitline’s, but the site I was going to order from has a disclaimer (Currently the only domestic shipping method available on the website is UPS Ground. We can ship by other methods, but please email us at info@blahblahblah.com). So I did at 7am on Monday morning and they didn’t reply until yesterday. $50 for overnight, or $25 for Monday. Regular standard s/h would get me the pedals mid next week.

I am not willing to pay those ridiculous s/h charges. I could always order them with free shipping and not pick up the bike until next week.

The Easton Flatboy’s. A design that hasn’t been updated in a LONG time but is still a nice pedal option it seems. On Amazon, I could have it shipped to my door on Friday for $75 (Amazon Prime). I have 5 hours to decide to use the free 2-day option.

Kona Wah Wah is another pedal I am very interested in but it seems like there are just a few retailers (that I have found) that sell it. I just emailed Cambria and asked if I would have them on Friday if I used 2 day shipping. The total would be $101. But the site says “Stock Status 2-5 Business Days.” EDIT: They replied and the pedals are back ordered, plus delays from Kona, plus extended delays for the grey color I wanted.

Finally, the Deity Decoy is another option I am interested in. I can get it for $81.69, but it wouldn’t be here until late next week.

I placed the order for my bike last Friday in the evening. So I knew if I ordered pedals online they probably wouldn’t ship until Monday. I thought if I emailed the shop with the Straitline’s Monday morning I would hear back from them soon, but they messed me up by replying a day later. And I didn’t realize many online sites that sell pedals don’t keep them in their inventory. It seems that once you place your order, they order them from the factory, receive them, and then ship them out to the buyer.

For those of you that have used the Easton Flatboy’s, do you wish there were any pins in the middle of the pedals? One of the things I like about the Straitline’s is the 2 rows of pins down the middle. And the Wah Wah’s have pins in the middle. But these will be my first set of quality pedals, so I am sure I will like whatever I get. And I plan to get a pair of five-tens too.

BTW. EBAY is not an option for me since I got fed up with some of their policies and fee’s. So I closed my 12 year old account.

Thanks for reading my long post. Any words of wisdom you can offer?
    Last edited by rjx; 06-22-2011 at 01:36 PM.

T.W.O
    I have easton flatboys and they are great. I don't even wear 5.10's and I don't slip off them. If you can spring for the Straitlines then do it, there is really nothing I've seen that is comparable. Really any of the choices you listed would be good ones and with a pair of 5.10's I think you'll be good. Just comes down to what you want to spend and I can't help you there. Straitlines are the best though.
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

Picture Unrelated
    The Straitlines are amazing, end of story. The Easterns don't have great pins on them and fewer pins as well. They're not bad but probably wouldn't be my first choice. The Deitys I found to be really nice and would be my choice if I hadn't gotten the Straitlines. Decoys aren't quite as grippy in my experience as the Straitlines are but are more grippy than the Eastern. Other pedals I don't have much experience with, but you can compare the pin arrangement, type, and height and get an idea of how they will feel compared to other pedals.

If you can spring for them, go Straitline.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

rjx
    mtbr member
    I did it .... got the Straitlines from Tree Fort Bikes for $116.08 shipped (regular free s/h). They had a good price on the Topeak Alien II Folding Multi Tool so I added that to the order to make it qualify for free s/h. (I was going to buy that anyway from Amazon for more $$).

Total shipped $145.01

I know I won't be able to enjoy my new bike until next week, but I need to count my pennies so I can afford everything I need to purchase.

I came close to buying the Easton's. But I am going to ride around 150 miles per week and I might as well splurge for the pedal I wanted the most.