1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Pedal confusion

mtbr member

Pedal confusion

Probably a dumb question but when I take my pedals off my mountain bike I use a 5/8 wrench.
    But the threads on my pedals seem to be 9/16.
    So..if I were to buy new pedals it's obvious that I want 9/16?
    Hmm...sounds like I answered my own question.
    And is 9/16 standard for most mountain bikes?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    idk for sure, but i believe that there is a generic pedal size.

mtbr member
    I don't think i've seen any pedals that are any sizes other than 9/16 (although I'm sure they exist). I just checked on my bike and yeah the 5/8 wrench worked while a 9/16 was to small.

So I'd say your in good shape.
    "If I am cut, do I not bleed?" -Kane

mtbr member
    May 2006
    To be exact, I think pedal wrenches are actually 15mm, but I tend to use whichever wrench is close and fits well enough to get the pedals off.

local trails rider
    Actually, you need a 15mm wrench.

A 5/8" may work if the pedal is not on too tight.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Ummm not quite.....

Quote Originally Posted by Screamer
    Probably a dumb question but when I take my pedals off my mountain bike I use a 5/8 wrench.
    But the threads on my pedals seem to be 9/16.
    So..if I were to buy new pedals it's obvious that I want 9/16?
    Hmm...sounds like I answered my own question.
    And is 9/16 standard for most mountain bikes?
    There are two pedal sizes 9/16 most commonly found on mountain and road bikes and higher end BMX bikes, and 1/2 more commonly found on kids bikes, low end walmart stuff, etc.

These sizes do not refer to the wrench flats on the shaft, but the threaded section ONLY. Wrench flats on modern pedals are a standard 15mm for the most part anymore. Back in the "old days" there were pedals produced with 9/16" flats, but they are rarely found, but there are still a few around, not new though. And many pedal wrenches like the Park PW2 still come with both size openings, one for 9/16 and one 15mm. Anyway the wrench flats on your pedals won't change even though the pedal says 9/16. That's the threaded portion of the pedal axel nothing else.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Thanks for the help you guys...I feel better.

The reason for my confusion is because Amazon.com is offering the Shimano M324 clipless/platform pedal at a couple different prices with one ad saying it came with a 9/16 thread and the other ad saying nothing about thread size. I just thought it was a different fit.

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-PD-M32.../dp/B000COAY4Q

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-PD-M32...ef=pd_sbs_sg_1

Obviously it's not a big deal and now I know that mountain bike pedals come only one way.
    Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    kinda like any other bolt... the bolt may be labeled as 3/8", which is referring to the shaft diameter, but you obviously have to use a bigger socket to fit on the head.