1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pedal Change

mtbr member

Pedal Change

Now I'm pissed. I used a 15mm open end wrench to get my right pedal off (standard thread). Happy happy happy. Left pedal (reverse thread), total destruction. That pedal is still on there. The outside is damn near completely rounded off, and I can't get enough leverage to get the Allen key to wrench it off, even with multiple applications of penetrating oil. I'm nervous about rounding out the hex and then being COMPLETELY SOL. If I was working with a motorcycle or a car, the fix is simple: Hit the f**ker with a torch and then try. I can't see heating my crank with an oxy-asetelyne torch. Suggestions?
    "Faster, Faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - Hunter S. Thompson

banned
    Sep 2012
    vise grip time?

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Cheater bar?

mtbr member
    Use a dremel tool to flatten off the sides?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Heat it with a hair dryer, and apply more penetrating oil.

mtbr member
    One more vote for the vise grips

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drwx View Post

Plus more torque, use a longer wrench or a cheater bar. If you cant keep a grip on it bust out a vise if you have one. A strong steady platform can make a huge difference.
    2012 Giant Reign 1

No Stranger to danger....
    Quote Originally Posted by drwx View Post

BINGO, we have a winner, grind both sides down and use a smaller spanner, you will just have to do a bit of measuring.
    Put the spanner on and use a rubber mallet n give it a good tap to get it happening, cheers
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

Picture Unrelated
    I'd put a cheater bar on the allen key. If you round it you're no worse off then you are now. Every other option is leading you to destruction of the pedal (grinding flats, vice grips...) so you might as well start with the allen and then proceed to destruction if it doesn't work.

Should the allen not work either, I'd just drill out the axle until a vice grip will take it off.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Try hair dryer/heat gun, try the allen key. Can you get a vise grip on there without wrecking stuff? All else fails, drill a hole throu the spindle insert rod, screwdriver whateva, and turn.
    Good luck
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    torx heads are good for removing partially stripped hex bolts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    All else fails, drill a hole throu the spindle insert rod, screwdriver whateva, and turn.
    Good luck
    +1 this.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Yeah, and getting the right angle/leverage, crankset in the right position is the key, or take off the crank arm or not but secure it with vise.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    sawzall.... - kidding, vise grips always worked for me in the past

mtbr member
    Could also strip down the pedal leaving the stuck spindle and put a pipe wrench on it.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    ^^^^^ This. Now you can use the torch on the spindle. Dont overhat the crap out of it. Heat will draw in the penetrating lube. As it cools down you should be able to back it out. If you work on cars you should have allen sockets. If allen doesnt do it by itself. socket on inside and a pipe wrench on the axle. This will even the force.
    Good luck
    Seeking MB-2 Fork (19.3), Ritchey FD post silver 26.8

mtbr member
    Well I didn't try a saw or a pipe wrench, but after a spread wrench, two broken hex keys, several ounces of propane, two sets of guaranteed vice grips, and a can and a half of penetrating oil that pedal is still stuck on there. I give up. My LBS is opened back up now so I'll leave t to them. If they break the crank or anything, then they replace it. If I break something, its an expensive mistake (regardless of the opportunity to upgrade).
    "Faster, Faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - Hunter S. Thompson

No Stranger to danger....
    ^^ LOL, greencanoe, i think you might find that after youve damaged your pedal that much that its not the LBSs fault if they break the crank, its a bit unethical to hold it against them to expect them to replace a broken crank after all tha damage you have done to it, get ready to fork out the cash to replace your own crank if the thread pulls out or it gets broken, and next time remember or learn how to remove a pedal properly,
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    ^^ LOL, greencanoe, i think you might find that after youve damaged your pedal that much that its not the LBSs fault if they break the crank, its a bit unethical to hold it against them to expect them to replace a broken crank after all tha damage you have done to it, get ready to fork out the cash to replace your own crank if the thread pulls out or it gets broken, and next time remember or learn how to remove a pedal properly,
    And/or apply anti-seize when installing pedals. Dissimilar metals will gall, so a little lube makes a big difference.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Before you do anything destructive try this: Take a can of air, flip it upside down and spray the spindle with it for a good minute. Quickly hit the crank arm with a torch. Try removing the pedal with an allen.
    Killing it with close inspection.

duh
    if you don't need to keep or if it's to late to save said pedal take the peddle off put the what is left of the pedal in to a vice with good teeth. Now use the bike as leverage, it also helps to have a helping hand in this.

Flow like water
    The only reason that a left hand thread pedal is a problem is that someone turned it the wrong way out of ignorance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DavyRay View Post
    The only reason that a left hand thread pedal is a problem is that someone turned it the wrong way out of ignorance.
    Or that the bike shop that assembled the bike used locktite on the pedals. My LBS opened back up and we got the pedal off and found the smurf-sperm all over the threads.

Flow like water
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenCanoe View Post
    Or that the bike shop that assembled the bike used locktite on the pedals. My LBS opened back up and we got the pedal off and found the smurf-sperm all over the threads.
    I guess you mean it was blue loctite. Good enough reason. Red would have been worse. What would you have called it if it had been red?

duh
    Quote Originally Posted by DavyRay View Post
    I guess you mean it was blue loctite. Good enough reason. Red would have been worse. What would you have called it if it had been red?
    spawn of the devil maybe

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast