1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr rememberer

Pearl Izumi Select MTB

I decided to go clipless after my cheapo flat left pedal started to spin like it has jagged rocks for bearings.

picked up a deal on shimano m540's and then went shoe hunting at various LBS's. I wear a size 14 and shoe hunting has always been a PITA. No one has my size, and if they do it's the most heinous and/or uncomfortable pair. Now narrow Euro sizes? Gawd. To my pleasant surprise, I finally found a pair at Performance.

Pearl Izumi Select MTB in size 48. They fit like a glove.
    Now I'm stoked to practice track stands and dismounting/falling correctly in a soft grassy knoll.

mtbr rememberer
    well, I greased the pedal and cleat threads with permatex and just gave 'em a spin and so far I love it. I can over spin on a climb and not worry about the pedals coming out from under my feet. the bunny hop just got a little easier. clipping out hasn't been an issue... yet (SH-51 cleat). I'll wait for the off-camber rocky climb to make that determination.

MTBR has been a great resource for me in researching clipless. Search has been my best friend these last few days.
    Last edited by johnny dollar; 04-17-2010 at 08:21 PM.

mtbr member
    REI usually stocks these in up to a 14-15 size
    '10 Rockhopper SL Comp 29er

mtbr rememberer
    REI is probably the one place I didn't go.

---

I tried these suckers out on the trail and they were supremely comfortable. went all of over GG Park, the Presido, into Marin and up and down into the Tennessee Valley.

The Miwok trail really kicked my ass, but I had no problems clipping-out on steep rocky sections for breaks. The traction on these shoes was adequate, too. I wouldn't hike and bike 'em, but they stayed comfy and I stayed balanced on the rocks.

mtbr member
    hows your width? Ive got kinda wide feet and I tried these and they seemed to feel better to me http://www.rei.com/product/765129
    '10 Rockhopper SL Comp 29er

usually cranky
    sweet shoes. i was considering pearl izumis but went with shimano.

mtbr rememberer
    Quote Originally Posted by fatboypup
    hows your width? Ive got kinda wide feet and I tried these and they seemed to feel better to me http://www.rei.com/product/765129
    I don't have too wide a foot, so I wasn't feeling squeezed. I tried the X-Alp, too. They were also comfortable, and more than likely a better hike 'n bike shoe, but I wanted the stiffest sole I could get and I didn't want to worry about the laces.

Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    sweet shoes.
    thx