1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31

Thread: Pay full price?

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    84

    Pay full price?

    I have always bought slightly used mountain bikes. But the bike that I want is a 2014 model. ( 2014 kona 153)
    my question is, if I go to the dealer, am I/ should I pay full MSRP for the bike?
    any help would be appreciated for this newby situation.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Shakester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    743
    If you goto a dealer, then you probably have no choice but to pay full retail. Some dealers may have sales but it probably won't be on a 2014 model. At $3400, thats quite a price, but you'd probably want to keep your options open, unless you have your heart set on the Process 153. I'm like you, I almost always buy slightly used or one year older models.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: moefosho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,691
    Chances are there wont be a whole lot of wiggle room on a new model + new model year bike. You can try paying in cash to get a discount though.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    156
    Yeah just go in and say you are interested in buying it and throw out a reasonable price you are willing to pay and when I say reasonable I mean Reasonable not some low ball, and they should be will to work with ya. I just but a brand new Santa Cruz Bronson, I was able to score 300 bucks off on it. What I did is i went in and test road it in the parking lot one last time then i said i am interested in buying it and asked if they could do 3000 before tax, msrp was 3400, so he crunched some numbers and Said 3100. So it can be done, you just need to go about it the right way, and be reasonable.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    84
    Ok. I was going to do cash. That's AWESOME to hear. Think asking for $3000 is reasonable ? Also, I was going to buy a used 2013 giant reign 1. (Looks amazing). You can get it for $2000. So I was thinking about waiting for one used. Contemplating the pros and cons.
    I would love you help my local bs, but I wouldn't bring it to get it serviced where I bought the bike bc it is far away.
    So with that being said. Is it still worth me buying it brand new if I get it serviced somewhere else?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    84
    When I was talking about getting one used, I mean the kona.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    166
    You have some options.

    1) Talk to a manager and ask him if you pay in cash will he take 4-5% off the bike since this is what the dealer is going to pay in credit card fees anyways. $3K bikes don't exactly fly off the shelves, so you'd be surprised what you can get if you just ask for it.

    2) When I was buying a +$4K bike I subscribed to all US dealers email lists and waited for the one with a sale and got the bike I wanted 20% off (minus shipping fees). It was an expensive bike and I saved close to $750 after all was said and done. The issue you have here is that you have no LBS that will comp your tune-up/tweak fees and so you pay for every adjustment.
    '14 Giant Anthem Adv 29
    '13 Giant Anthem 29
    '13 Trek Superfly 29
    '11 Trek 4300 Disc

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: moefosho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,691
    Quote Originally Posted by NHMB View Post
    Ok. I was going to do cash. That's AWESOME to hear. Think asking for $3000 is reasonable ? Also, I was going to buy a used 2013 giant reign 1. (Looks amazing). You can get it for $2000. So I was thinking about waiting for one used. Contemplating the pros and cons.
    I would love you help my local bs, but I wouldn't bring it to get it serviced where I bought the bike bc it is far away.
    So with that being said. Is it still worth me buying it brand new if I get it serviced somewhere else?
    Bike shops have a 20-30% margin on bikes, but after you factor in assembly, free tune ups, etc they are not making much off of it. So dont expect 10% off on a brand new model.

    They money they make is in service, parts, accessories.

    I think cash price 5% discount can be easily done.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    87
    I talked with my LBS the other day on a Wednesday and the were having a "Freezing Friday" sale (due to super cold temps here in TN) that was one day only. He quoted me $120 off a $1050 retail bike. Surely this wasn't a dealer incentive sale? You would think if he could do that price on that one Friday, he should be able to do it anytime, right?

    I'm a noob myself so I don't know the in's and out's of LBS's

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    84
    Tiller, you are correct. If they take it off one day, they will do it any other day. If you come with cash on another day, fir that price, do you think they will say no? They won't. I used to sell cars so I know a little about sales but not 100% mb sales

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    445
    Usually dealers have very little wiggle room on current year bikes because they have to adhere to the price the companies set for them. 5% is about the maximum I would expect off a new bike. A lot of times a dealer will have other incentives like free tune ups, a certain percentage off accessories, etc... to make sure you're getting a sweet deal even when paying full price.

    Paying in cash might get you a little bit of a break, but I doubt it would be significant. If you're really set on getting an awesome deal...buy a previous year model around the time the new bikes come out. A lot of sizes and models will still be available from the previous year and the dealer can cut you a better deal on them.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    84
    Yea, I saw a used process 111 on eBay for $2300 used including shipping do finding one won't be too hard. It's just how long will it take.
    But like I said,I would like to help my LBS out, but all the kona dealers are not close. So im just trying to see if 5% puff is still worth it if I take it to a LBS for tune ups and all.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by owensjs View Post
    Usually dealers have very little wiggle room on current year bikes because they have to adhere to the price the companies set for them. 5% is about the maximum I would expect off a new bike. A lot of times a dealer will have other incentives like free tune ups, a certain percentage off accessories, etc... to make sure you're getting a sweet deal even when paying full price.

    Paying in cash might get you a little bit of a break, but I doubt it would be significant. If you're really set on getting an awesome deal...buy a previous year model around the time the new bikes come out. A lot of sizes and models will still be available from the previous year and the dealer can cut you a better deal on them.
    My two local bikes shops immediately quoted me 10% off current year bikes. They also made it appear there could be a better deal if I bought a second bike for the wife. And this was just through email communication.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    84
    That's AWESOME. Looks like it's luck of the draw then. I guess it's better to talk through email before I trade the drive.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by NHMB View Post
    That's AWESOME. Looks like it's luck of the draw then. I guess it's better to talk through email before I trade the drive.
    It just leads me to believe you can always get SOMETHING off retail.. I mean this was two different for for two different brands. One a trek store. I also checked the two local specialized dealers (one store ONLY Specialized) and both have com off retail a little bit, especially for two bikes... Havent bought yet but can't wait to

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: time229er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    674
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    Chances are there wont be a whole lot of wiggle room on a new model + new model year bike. You can try paying in cash to get a discount though.
    help me understand the "cash" ditty...the bike dealer is always going to get "cash" or you don't get the bike...unless we are suggesting the dealer would sell at a discounted price because you hand him a bag of "cash" behind the building...just want to understand. Maybe when I pay with a personal check or credit card, I have missed out on a discount or are you suggesting the LBS could allow a discount to not use a CC?...okay... I now see, said the blind man my double-duh...
    2014 Nail Trail 29er

  17. #17
    Fat-tired Roadie
    Reputation: AndrwSwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    13,241
    I'd say there's pretty much always wiggle room relative to MSRP on a bike that's on the floor.

    If you need them to order it for you, build it for you, that kind of thing, there's less wiggle room.

    This also depends on the culture where you are. In New York, I got about 10% off a new bike just by telling them what I wanted to spend. It's part of the culture that prices are negotiable on large-ticket items. In Seattle, that seems to be much less of the case.

    I have a few bikes. I paid sticker on one. Two were secondhand, and two were new, with at least a little bit off MSRP.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    19
    I just bought a new left over 2013 Scott Spark 920 carbon. MSRP $4200, I paid $2000 for it. I will always wait from now on til the end of the model year before I buy a bike. No way I would ever pay full price but thats just me. Good luck!

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    84
    Wow, go you. That's AWESOME!!

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    148
    Another thing you can negotiate for is in store credit. My LBS gives store credit to anyone that buys a new bike because they know you are going to want/need helmet, shoes, shorts, pedals etc. So, if they stand fast on the price and you know there are some accessories you want you might get some credit to buy some of that stuff.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    99
    I got 10% off 2014 MY Trek Superfly FS 9 and FS 6 bikes when I bought them at the end of October. The FS 9 had to be ordered. I just bought 2013 MY Trek Lexa SLX and Domane 4.5 road bikes last week -- both out of floor stock -- and got about 20% off. All four from the same dealer.
    2014 Trek Superfly FS 9; 2013 Trek Domane 4.5

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by time229er View Post
    help me understand the "cash" ditty...the bike dealer is always going to get "cash" or you don't get the bike...unless we are suggesting the dealer would sell at a discounted price because you hand him a bag of "cash" behind the building...just want to understand. Maybe when I pay with a personal check or credit card, I have missed out on a discount or are you suggesting the LBS could allow a discount to not use a CC?...okay... I now see, said the blind man my double-duh...
    We mean cash verse credit card where the LBS is charged a fee for each transaction

  23. #23
    Rep Power: Infinity
    Reputation: NateHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,491
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiller15 View Post
    We mean cash verse credit card where the LBS is charged a fee for each transaction
    Not every place is going to do this. Depends how the owner views things. On a brand new bike early in the model year, any wiggle on the actual price of the bike is unlikely. Many bikes sell out by the start of summer. Really tiny and really huge sizes might be an exception, as shop owners aren't counting on selling many in a given year. Especially extreme sizes on high end bikes.

    You're more likely to get some kind of deal on accessories, which have a higher margin for the shop.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,059
    Quote Originally Posted by NHMB View Post
    I have always bought slightly used mountain bikes. But the bike that I want is a 2014 model. ( 2014 kona 153)
    my question is, if I go to the dealer, am I/ should I pay full MSRP for the bike?
    any help would be appreciated for this newby situation.
    I can't see how you are going to get a lower price on a 2014 bike model from any dealer. Unfortunately the chances of not paying full price for it are very slim.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    84

    Re: Pay full price?

    Quote Originally Posted by Max24 View Post
    I can't see how you are going to get a lower price on a 2014 bike model from any dealer. Unfortunately the chances of not paying full price for it are very slim.
    With another guy saying he didn't lay msrp on his 14' specialized, I guess it is possible. It just depends on the shop owner really.it could happen, and if so PROBABLY not much.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-02-2014, 05:22 PM
  2. 20% OFF one full-price item @ Jenson USA
    By Hokidachi in forum Where are the Best Deals?
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-25-2013, 07:12 AM
  3. best deal on full suspension lowest price wins
    By Otctind in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-10-2013, 05:51 PM
  4. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-20-2013, 11:56 AM
  5. Trance x1 29 full price or hold out
    By Hophead1 in forum Giant
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-31-2013, 08:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •