1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

parts coming loose

need a little help on this...

i recently purchased a giant boulder. i know the parts are not top of the line but i also don't enpect the bike to fall apart under me.

i was out riding tonight jumping off curbs, popping wheelies, trying manuals, etc. when all of a sudden the bars slipped in the headset.

alright, figured i would readjust them when i got back home.

then 10 min down the road i felt something odd in the pedal. well, in having resin pedals i thought i had been beating on them enough for them to start cracking (getting a new set of metal pedals has been a top issue on my mind). when i reach down and checked the pedal it was not the pedal that was an issue at all. it was the crank.

one of the crank arms had worked it's way loose, and it seemed if i didn't stop when i did the thing would have fallen completely off.

now my questions are these... i assume i should be tightening these parts every few rides if i'm going to ride like this? how tight should i screw the headset down so that the bars don't move even with a solid jolt? do people go to a straight bar so they don't have to worry about the bars rotating (slipping like this)? can i use threadlok of something like that to keep the bolts on parts like the cranks from coming loose like they did today?

any suggestions for dealing with this nonsense?

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmi11er
    need a little help on this...

i recently purchased a giant boulder. i know the parts are not top of the line but i also don't enpect the bike to fall apart under me.

i was out riding tonight jumping off curbs, popping wheelies, trying manuals, etc. when all of a sudden the bars slipped in the headset.

alright, figured i would readjust them when i got back home.

then 10 min down the road i felt something odd in the pedal. well, in having resin pedals i thought i had been beating on them enough for them to start cracking (getting a new set of metal pedals has been a top issue on my mind). when i reach down and checked the pedal it was not the pedal that was an issue at all. it was the crank.

one of the crank arms had worked it's way loose, and it seemed if i didn't stop when i did the thing would have fallen completely off.

now my questions are these... i assume i should be tightening these parts every few rides if i'm going to ride like this? how tight should i screw the headset down so that the bars don't move even with a solid jolt? do people go to a straight bar so they don't have to worry about the bars rotating (slipping like this)? can i use threadlok of something like that to keep the bolts on parts like the cranks from coming loose like they did today?

any suggestions for dealing with this nonsense?
    go on the giant web site and find the torque specs. then torque the bolts . you can use thread lock but torqueing them will prob. do it.
    the handlebars are held on by the stem usually 4 bolts, not the top headset cover screw make sure you tighten them evenly, and the cranks are reverse threaded so they shouldnt come off

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    yeah, i messed with the stem screws for the handlebars not the top headset screw. i also checked to make sure there was an even gap both on the top and bottom one when tightened down.

the cranks are suntour. they don't have a screw coming it from the edge of the crank to tighten it to the spindle (i assume that is what that part is called, the thing going through the bb). these cranks actually have a larger bolt going through the crank arm into the end of that spline. that bolt is what came loose.

i will check giant's website for some torque specs.

mtbr member
    if you rode them loose, you probably killed them. meaning you need new cranks and a bb.

the boulder i think has Square Taper cranks, and these are the easiest to kill with loose cranks.

~I Ride In Circles ~
    My left crank came loose on my bike soon after buying it.. Its made noise ever since.
    [SIZE=3]
    ~ it's all good ~
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    what kind of noise are we talking about?