1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Painting Over Scratches

I've had my bike for about 8 months now, and have done a good job scratching segments of the frame. It's a bit much for my vanity, and I'm wondering where I should look for paint that I can use to make her purdy again.

Some of my friends are telling me to use nail polish for the small stuff. Any reason not to do this? I can just imagine taking my bike into Macy's and asking the lady behind the counter to match the color of my frame.

I've got a cobalt blue '06 Stumpjumper Comp.

Riding a Rig.
    Quote Originally Posted by half_man_half_scab
    I've had my bike for about 8 months now, and have done a good job scratching segments of the frame. It's a bit much for my vanity, and I'm wondering where I should look for paint that I can use to make her purdy again.

Some of my friends are telling me to use nail polish for the small stuff. Any reason not to do this? I can just imagine taking my bike into Macy's and asking the lady behind the counter to match the color of my frame.

I've got a cobalt blue '06 Stumpjumper Comp.
    I think a better way to go would be car touch up paint. Next time you in walmart grab a few bottles of touchup paint that look close. Keep the one thats closest and then paint away. Start small and finish up with high grit (1500 or 2000) sand paper. Once it starts to blend in polish it with car polish and you you should start to have a hard time finding the places you touched up.

Good luck.
    "Physics is timeless. Marketing and bs never lasts. Thats been proven time and time again."
    -Dave Weagle