1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Pain in the neck

I've been noticing that I am getting a cramp right between my shoulder blades a few inches below the base of my neck. I've been riding with a camelback and am just getting back into riding. Is this just weak muscle or do I maybe have some adjustments that need to be made?

ride hard take risks
    Could be you are scrunching your shoulders, handlebar to far forward, controls down to far, compensating for Camelback.

Custom User Title
    My bro-in-law had the same problem. He said when he corrected his posture it went away. We also adjusted his components to make it more of an upright position.
    Team MOJO Wheels.

Collector of Scars
    Feb 2006
    I had the same problem when I first started to ride a few years back. I found out I was locking my elbows and "shrugging" my shoulders when I got fatigued. That was causing it, so I just concentrate on my form and posture these days and have no problems.

Just a suggestion.

Ross
    "I don't wanna die without any scars. So come on, let's do it before I lose my nerve" - Tyler Durden (Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk)

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I will take a look at my form. Thanks a lot for the things to look at. I'm thinking that my handlebars would be nice to be about an inch closer to me and raised up a hair. So a new stem may be in my future. I'm gonna hold off on purchases for awhile until I take a hard look at my posture like you guys said. The other thing is maybe I just need to build up some extra strenth.

Flying Goat
    The latest issue of mountain bike action has an article about pains due to bikes not fitted properly... didnt say anything about the neck... but worth looking at... well at leadt i think it's worth looking at...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive
    The latest issue of mountain bike action has an article about pains due to bikes not fitted properly... didnt say anything about the neck... but worth looking at... well at leadt i think it's worth looking at...
    I am in the process of trying to get rid of after ride headaches. One thing I am looking at is my riding position. Concentrated on it today and noticed that I ride with my shoulders in a constant shrug. May be the cause. Going to raise my handle bars and see what happens.

Flying Goat
    Quote Originally Posted by bikenut316
    I am in the process of trying to get rid of after ride headaches. One thing I am looking at is my riding position. Concentrated on it today and noticed that I ride with my shoulders in a constant shrug. May be the cause. Going to raise my handle bars and see what happens.
    could it be a wrongfully fitted helmet? Check the ones at the back of your head to see if thats too tight... if your eyes start to pop out from tightening it, then it's too tight...