1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Padded undershorts

I have a NOOB quesion on padded undershorts. I was thinking of getting a pair of something like RockGardn CYA's or similar. If I bought a pair of say mediums what size and style of outer shell shorts should I go with? I dont have the opportunity to try at local nbs as they are almost out of everything in my size for the season. I have a 33" waist 5'11 and weigh around 185. I know the options and style/personal prefernces are endless but just wondering on the sizing.

Picture Unrelated
    As long as the inner short fits, it doesn't really matter what size outer short you have so long as it doesn't fall down. Find a short with a bit of elastic and buy it in the size you normally would.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Cow Clicker
    Just make sure the crotch doesn't hang down so low it gets caught on the seat as you transition from standing to sitting.

mtbr member
    Read the reviews on them on whatever site you're going to buy them from. I did that when I obught my shorts, and from that I got plenty of info that lead me to pick the perfect size.

As far as what to wear over them, wear whatever shorts you want. I picked up a pair of very light cotton cargo shorts from a discount store that were 12 bucks. Works perfectly....I don't have to walk around wearing bike shorts, and the cargos are light enough that they don't make me any hotter, and they fit loose enough without being so loose they snag on the seat.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'm planning to buy something similar to these for longer drives: rei.com/product/794384/novara-padded-bike-briefs-mens]Novara Padded Bike Briefs - Men's at REI.com

Can be weared under your own clothes which is nice since I don't really like padded bike shorts.

mtbr member
    Thank for the tips guys. I bought a pair of Rockgardn cya padded shorts and a pair of Royal Turbulance outer shorts from CRC. Might be too hot for summer but I hope they are fine for the fall.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I would like to add that don't relly need padding if you aren't driving long sets or distances or in very cold weather. It's good to train your ass without any padding.

mtbrmembernewuserbeginner
    Aug 2012
    empre, that's the second time I've seen a comment to that effect... i think the first one was in the noob guide... like, the more you ride the less your ass hurts or something. my ass definitely hurts... seat upgrade will be necessary at least, even if I don't end up getting some of these fancy shorts everyone is talking about. Thanks for the tip about distance/weather, I hadn't thought of it as a point of heat insulation, since it's generally the second most sweaty part of body...

Cow Clicker
    The padding is also a wicking agent to keep your balls from getting too schweatty

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Padded shorts have been around for along time ,they have a lot of development. They do what they are designed to do ,make your ride more enjoyable. You can get baggies with pads or spandex either one will make your butt less sore.

mtbr member
    Personally, I bought Fox ones that were in my waist size.

Unfortunately.. My waist size is 30", so not too many come in that size from them. But they make it easy enough, coming in sizes like that.

Only gotten to use them once, for two hours of riding, and it was a lot more enjoyable. Though on the flip side, the second time I've tied them with their inner waist strap, since the first was when I first tried them on, the stitching that holds the ring in them, broke. Luckily, I can wear them without needing to tie that, but I still may contact them about it.

Could've just been a freak accident with them, as I only bought one pair, so I can't speak for having multiple issues with them. Otherwise, they've been entirely comfortable as any padded shorts should be, and a perfect fit for me personally.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cruc_fauwn View Post
    empre, that's the second time I've seen a comment to that effect... i think the first one was in the noob guide... like, the more you ride the less your ass hurts or something. my ass definitely hurts... seat upgrade will be necessary at least, even if I don't end up getting some of these fancy shorts everyone is talking about. Thanks for the tip about distance/weather, I hadn't thought of it as a point of heat insulation, since it's generally the second most sweaty part of body...
    I made a comment about rear rack in the noob thread. My ass started hurt after few days of driving and went totally away after 1-2 weeks. I had a long break and started driving again and it was the same thing although I didn't have to drive as long for it to go away. It's good to wear padding though if you plan to tour for 100km for example. At least I would. Also like others say it's good in cold winter weather for keeping your balls for not going numb.

Aug 2012
    WHAT! Something that insulates, is padded, AND keeps me dry!
    I'd go get a pair right now... but the recession's on so nothing's open yet... sadface(

wmac,
    my digest showed your message as ". Apps" instead of "balls"... that's kinda weird...

well, empre, I guess I don't have to wear them on EVERY ride, but today's already the coldest day this season, and it's only getting colder on average from here I imagine (typical of where I am), so I might even have to get two... hopefully there're on clearance. most of the LSBs near where I liver or where I work are having clearances on bikes and accessories.

Mazda_Guy, I know what you mean about sizing, I have the opposite issue with helmets! Not fun trying on EVERYTHING to find one that fits nicely.

Cow Clicker
    Cruc - autocorrect got me on that one If you've got the cash, go with a good bib. I prefer the Canari Evolution with Prana Mojo shorts as a shell.

Aug 2012
    I'll check it out, hopefully I have time today, sounds like time's a wasting, my testicular comfort is very important to me... despite my masochistic past

mtbr member
    And for the love of God man, don't wear underwear under your padded shorts!
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    And for the love of God man, don't wear underwear under your padded shorts!
    I may or may not have been guilty of doing this.

Hmm, I might try going free today though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazda Guy View Post
    I may or may not have been guilty of doing this.

Hmm, I might try going free today though.
    As much as I am a fan of 'commando' style fashion, don't do it on the bike. Only hot women should EVER be naked on a bike , and most anatomically normal men will require a certain amount of support and restraint for their 'goods', otherwise BAD THINGS might occur to your precious pieces.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    That's what I was thinking, it was pretty comfortable still wearing boxers with them. Talk about padding, haha.

We used to do it running cross country, but that was different.

Side note, an attractive woman, naked, on a bike... Yeah, that's a good thought.

Back to the topic though, shall we?