1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Padded shorts or a different seat

I am wondering what everyone's thoughts are about either getting a pair of padded shorts or just get a new seat that would be more comfortable.

passed out in your garden
    time in the saddle has worked for me
    2012 Trek Rumblefish Elite
    Frankenbike (Pump/BMX track bike)
    1993 Colnago Elegant

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Go the shorts, propper mtb shorts with the padded inner short will work wonders, and also going comando to stop sweaty nast days in the saddle

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I am currently am riding with either unpaded mtb shorts or my compressions and cargo's

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmg71 View Post
    time in the saddle has worked for me
    This is the best answer so far. Besides that I would invest in some nice padded shorts. Don't skimp on them. Get a good pair. Then if the above two don't work you can try another seat. It's better to buy things you can use throughout your biking experience. If you buy another seat and that still doesn't work then you will buy the shorts; wasting money on a seat.
    Mountain Biking is not a hobby. It's a lifestyle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I took the slr off my road bike. I have to season into it every year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Any recommendations on a good pair?

The non padded pair I have are by Canari.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    it might be in your bet interest to get properly fitted for a saddle. if your saddle fit is not right, padded shorts will help, but for longer rides, you will start to feel discomfort.

just my 2 cents
    Living in Houston makes me more of a Ditch Bike Rider

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Unless your saddle fits wrong.....ride more. I don't use padded shorts or anything but they would help on the 40+ mile rides.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by scribble79 View Post
    Any recommendations on a good pair?

The non padded pair I have are by Canari.
    Fox and Zoic make nice ones, but most good baggies come with a removable chamois/liner that you can use with any shorts. Just avoid shorts with a seam down the crotch.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    +1 Zoic... plus you can get them locally at many sporting goods stores. Even places like REI carry them. Makes it easy to see how they fit without having to deal with the shipping/returning via UPS/FedEx etc..