1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Packing bearings for fork and headset installation

Today I'm going to install my forks and headset. How important is it to have the bike store pack the bearings? Is this something that is easy to do myself just by appling some grease, or should I let the bike store do it?

Also, I noticed that one of the thin plastic rings that goes with the headset is broken - the entire piece is intact, but I guess the best way to describe it is that it looks like someone cut one side with a pair of sizzors. Is this a big deal, or do I need to have that piece replaced? I'm hoping it doesn't mean replacing the whole headset!

Yes, that's fonetic
    If it's a new bb and/or headset, they will most likely have cartridge bearings and you won't need to worry about it.

mtbr member
    If the bearings are visible, inside a cage, then pack with grease. Just simply push some grease into them so it goes all around and into cage and balls. If the bearings are sealed no grease on the bearings needed but its a good idea to put a light film on all parts to keep from rusting and if you ever take it apart. The "thin plastic ring" that seems cut I'm guessing is the compression ring and is supposed to be that way, but you should be able to google the type ahead set you got to see a parts diagram to confirm.
    You can also do a youtube search for proper install and adjustment if you haven't already.
    Last edited by theMeat; 07-12-2011 at 06:20 AM.
    the strongest trees grow on the windiest plains... ~Tone's

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    Go to your local auto parts store and buy a tub of synthetic axle and bering grease. Clean the bearing cages and races of all oil, then pack the cages full of grease. Super easy job, do it every spring or whenever your bike gets excessively wet or dirty. Synthetics are better all the way around. Also be sure you don't mix different weights or brands of lubricants. Find one, and stick with it.
    '09 Specialized Rockhopper expert 29
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    What headset are you installing? Most non sealed headsets also have dust seals that are "plastic rings", but they should not be split.
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

mtbr member
    Synthetics are better for certain applications, like hi heat and when in contact with elastomers and such, but for headsets it's not needed and if you ever wanna oil stuff you don't have to worry about petroleum oil mixing with your sythetics.
    Greasing your headset every year is cool but I'd rather ride than wrench. I also like my stuff working well and if it's making noise or not performing well I MUST fix it. Have headset with 15 year old petroleum grease in them, throu rain, streams, mud, puddles, you name it and still going strong. Is it better to regease every year with synthetic grease? maybe, if you don't brake anything in the process, Is it needed? certainly not.

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    I live in a world of bearings and lubricants. So a 20 min lube job is nothing. I usually do my hub bearings at the same time, all of this takes an hour and a half, tops. And in doing this, i never need to "oil stuff", other than my chain of course(I use wax lube for that). Piece of mind is what I like. Synthetics won't mix with water and become milky like petro. And their viscosity index almost doubles that of petro. But it's just personal preference.

But to each his own. As long as it's lubed correctly, petroleum or synthetic, you shouldn't have problems.

No argument intended theMeat. He probably has sealed bearings and this will all be bs anyhow.Lol
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

mtbr member
    Same here, no argument intended. Just personal preference like you said. Like whether or not wax is better than oil for a chain, or wheter you should clean and lube your chain or just replace every few months or so to help stop chainring and casette wear. Or wheter you should "oil stuff". But when it comes to "packing", I think with a name like "theMeat" I'm the expert, LOL

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    Hahaahaaha

Reminds me of Porkeys'. "So why do they call ya' meat"?
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

mtbr member
    Let's just say the Ladies gave me that name.