1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm The P.I.A. Thread

I see a lot of new riders having saddle trouble as I did recently but on my first try with the advice of my LBS I was pain free on my first ride in the back country.Adamo Peak | Ideal Saddle Modification remember, you get what you pay for in life. BTW I don't have any padded shorts and so far I don't need them...

Picture Unrelated
    [shudders]

How about some useful advice?

- Your butt WILL hurt. It just will. You are compressing soft tissue and nerves that are not normally compressed, that means that your body will start sending a signal that something is different and it's not nice. Don't stress, this is normal and should pass after the first few rides. It usually takes my butt the first two rides of the season to desensitize and I've been riding for years.

- The saddles that come with most bikes off the shelf are garbage. Don't be afraid to get rid of it.

- When you do go shopping for a saddle, the only way you'll know if one works for you is to try it. Many shops these days have demo saddle fleets from WTB, Fizik, or others; take advantage of this and take some saddles out for a ride before you buy. You may not get a perfect sample of how it will feel long term, but it will be a good comparison point.

- Set up your saddle angle properly. So many "fit" issues are caused by simply not having the saddle at the right angle.

- Sofa sized gel saddles are NOT the answer. You want your saddle to support your pelvic sit bones and not crush blood vessels, nerve bundles, and the other plumbing that resides in that area. Firm saddles support your body while soft saddles crush your tissue. You don't have to ride unpadded carbon topped saddles, but stay away from cruiser seats and anything with springs attached to it. If something has a little window in the packaging that says "soft - touch me" then avoid the thing like the plague.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?