1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Otero super or ....

I am really looking into the Otero Super just because its a dual suspension in my price range. But i would like to know if there are any other bikes i should look at before i commit to this one.

Hardtail Warrior
    That actually has decent specs for a Full Suspension bike in that price range. It will be rideable for trails but nothing too gnarly. If you want something that is going to stand up to hard punishment (for example if you want to do jumps or drops) I would highly recommend spending that money on a good Hardtail. There really isn't that much difference except that you use your body as suspension on a HT and you can be a little lazier on a FS bike. A HT in that price range though will allow you to grow more and learn how to ride better. It will be more durable and the parts will be higher quality (so they last longer and require less maintenance). What you end up doing is your choice but I would highly recommend a good HT over a lower end FS (The bike is trail rideable just nothing too extreme). Keep in mind that you want a bike that will last you. At these prices you don't want to make a mistake and have something that becomes disposable because too many parts are breaking or it won't do what you want it to do.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Can anyone recommend a hard tail bike in this price range, possibly a 29er?