1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

ordered my bike, anything i need to upgrade/change?

Hey guys first post here and im really happy to be a part of the forum, Im 27 5.8 & around 210 lbs depending on what ive eaten for lunch haha, Im gonna start riding after a gap of 8 years, Just asked a dealer locally to source a 2010 Cannondale F9 coz im getting a good deal on it, saving up almost a 100$, tried it and seemed the best bike to begin with. I should be getting the bike by saturday.. Just want to know if i\'ve made the right choice.. and is there anything that u guys think i should upgrade on the bike to make it better.. ill be gradually spending more on the bike.. just want to start riding to drop some weight.. but want to make a list from now so i start saving up! so please let me know as to what addon\'s i should get with the bike...like the essentials. will be ordering it online so please suggest the website aswell. Also can i add a Disc brake upgrade to it without changing the wheels or anything else??.. im currently lookin @ the bb7 at the moment coz it seems the best bang for the buck. please suggest me the best upgrades and your thoughts on the f9
    Last edited by toxicdrift; 04-13-2010 at 07:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Upgrades...I say just ride until either something breaks or you find that a certain component(s) are holding you back or are uncomfortable for you. Otherwise just ride that sucker...especially if you think you might upgrade the entire bike in a year or two (or less).

As far as brakes, it looks like your frame and fork will allow disc brakes but not sure about the wheels. You need to make sure that the hubs will accept rotors, otherwise you need new hubs or a new wheelset.

mtbr member
    It looks like the F9 comes with 28 spoke rims which would be the first thing I'd upgrade after I thrashed 'em, 32's are more suited for Trail riding...of course this all depends on what type of riding you do???

+2 on the disc brakes...

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

First off...

it's almost impossible to recommend upgrades for your bike. We don't know how you intend to ride, where, or under what conditions. The best advice that anyone can give you is, ride the bike, figure out what you don't like about it, then change/upgrade that item or component. The problem is, what sucks and what doesn't as far as components goes is highly subjective. It depends very heavily on a given riders past experience, personal prference, and experience level. An experienced rider is going to give very different recommendations than a beginner. So it's best to figure that one out for yourself once you've had some time on the bike. From my perspective as a mechanic and experienced rider is, everything! Wheels, fork, drive train (to include shifters), brakes, and even the tires. But that is based on my personal preferences, experience level, and where and how I ride.

As for a disc brake upgrade without additional components. Hard to say. According to C'dales spec sheet the 2010 F9 comes with a front 6 bolt disc hub only. Which seems odd, so it may be a miss print. So you'll have to wait for the bike to arrive. If the stock wheels are both in fact built with 6 bolt type disc hubs, then yes you can upgrade to BB7s with out any additional purchases other than new cables and housing. The cables and housing that are currently hooked up the the stock v-brakes will be too short to make the runs to disc calipers.

With all that said. The most effective upgrades the will make the biggest difference in performance for the money are, fork, lighter wheels, and brakes to start with. But they are expensive. You have to be careful with upgrades. Get too crazy and you'll end up with more money in upgrades than you initially paid for the bike.

So, get the bike, go ahead and upgrade the brakes if you want/can. But then ride the crap out of it for a while and upgrade what you think needs to be changed or doesn't perform as you would like. Or just upgrade as things wear out. Just don't fall into the "upgrade trap" and start changing things just to upgrade them. You'll figure it out once you've had some saddle time on the bike.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    There's no reason to upgrade, ride what you have until something breaks (or because of comfort) and then replace/upgrade as necessary.

Hardwarz

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    wont be doin any trails zenkem.. just some road rides to begin with.. have a few empty n shut roads where i live.. there are small hills and slopes but the surface is pretty rough with potholes which i why i picked a hardtail.

also guys if u could please help me as to what parts i would require for the disc swap on the F9 incl part numbers or web links it would be great

mtbr member
    Brakes are just a disc brake kit like the BB7. When you get the kit it has everything except the cable. So you have to get a brake cable and housing kit. That is pretty much it assuming your hubs will accept the rotors.

So in most cases you buy this

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Brake+09.aspx

and this

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...asing+Set.aspx

and you are good to go. However if you are upgrading brakes you may be well advised to get new levers too, something that allows some adjustments like this

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Levers+08.aspx

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I wouldn't upgrade anything. I don't think disc brakes would be worth it at this time, even if your bike is fully ready for them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Squash - your post makes sense and i totally get where your coming from, i guess as i get to spend more time with the bike ill know what to do and which parts need 2 be changed. thats the best way to find out .. thanks alot for your input. always helps when someone experianced shares what they\'ve learnt

nubster - thanks alot for the links man! now i just need to find the best deals for these in the coming months! ill be keeping a watch for these! hopefully sooner then expected!

s0ckeyeus - yea im gonna take squash\'s and your advice and just spend as much time with the bike as i can.. till the more exp parts start wearning out then ill make the changes. read up more on the forums and get myself updated to the latest bike tech! hahaha

OT - i found out from http://www.formulahubs.com/ (in the disc/downhill section)
    that the F9 hub (formula dc20) is indeed a 6 bolt one.. so were good to go right? with the disc swap. how does the rear disc setup work?? coz there\'s nothing on the website bout the rear hub / (forgive my n00bness haha)

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Most websites will pricematch eachother, so you can usually get the best deals by making your purchases from a single online vendor using their pricematch policy. JensonUSA has great service and will pricematch most any other online dealer. That will save you from having to place orders with multiple vendors and paying multiple shipping/handling fees. So I tend to use Google Shop to search and sort for the lowest prices on items. Then check availability at JensonUSA.com.

Hail Satin!
    The only things you should buy for the bike are a shock pump a tire pump and lube. Clean it, lube it, and inflate it. Then just ride. Have fun. And after a year (unless something breaks) either upgrade or sell what you have and really upgrade
    In the great Ford vs Chevy debate, I choose Porsche.

Fat-tired Roadie
    The best deal on bike parts is almost always when you buy a complete bike. So unless you're willing to spend a ton of time on Craig's List and EBay sourcing parts, by the time you finish upgrading things, you would have spent less buying an F3 or something else that starts off with high-end parts.

That being said, there are some places where a little money can go a lot further. Places where you touch the bike or the bike touches the ground are the best places to put money, IMHO. Get good tires for where you ride. Get a saddle that works for you. Get cycling shorts, if you don't still have a pair kicking around. Get a stem that lands the handlebars in the right place for you. Get good pedals, and I recommend shin guards if you go with flats. And in the case of bikes with a Gila, I think even a rigid fork is an upgrade.

Everything else is more expensive, frequently requires replacing other parts, and doesn't make nearly as much of a difference in the ride.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx