1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Orbea sate(26) or Trek Marlin(29er)

I wanted to buy a bike but i am confused in choosing among the two.. (26) Orbea Sate link ... 29er Trek Marlin 29er.link
    I am beginner in driving off roads. The bike will be mainly used in city roads and off-roads on weekend. The trails here are hard and involves quick turns.. it should be suitable for elevation and downhill too.. please suggest after reviewing both. i have checked both but not able to take decisions
    A bit of guidance will be appreciated. Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Well I think you will have to decide on your priorities. a 26er will be more nimble and could turn a bit faster and crisper, but a 29er would be better for the trails if you have large rocks and stumps.

Knowing only what I do from your original post, I sounds like the 26er would be more ideal for you as you will use on city roads (assuming commuting?) and the 29er wouldn't be as good for the weaving through traffic due to the larger tire, though it certainly can be done.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Is there any way you can ride both bikes, or at least ride the Trek and any other 26"er?

In my experience, my 29" Trek with it's steep head angle and G2 geometry is more maneuverable than my 26". My 26" is a '98 Schwinn Mesa and the Trek is a 2012 Superfly AL, so not really a fair comparison. But I have ridden a few Trek 29ers and a few 29ers of other brands, and really like the way the Trek handles.

And they use 700c tires on road bikes which I believe works out to the same rim size as a 29er. I don't know why they like big tires on road bikes, but there must be a reason.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Better learn the trails near your house and its on your decision from then on.
    a 29er as the guys said earlier, climbs the rocks a lot easier. U will feel a little clumsy at the beginning but ok.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    sate orbea specification
    Frame ORBEA MTB ALU
    Fork SUNTOUR XCR HLO REMOTE 100
    Crankset SHIMANO FCM-171 24x34x42
    Headset AHEAD 1 1/8
    Handlebar ORBEA OC-I RAISED
    Stem ORBEA OC-I
    Shifters SHIMANO M 310
    Brakes SHIMANO M445 DISC
    Rear derailleur SHIMANO DEORE SHADOW
    Front derailleur SHIMANO TX50
    Chain KMC Z8
    Rear cogs SHIMANO HG31 11-32 8S
    Wheels ORBEA MTB 26 DISC
    Tyres KENDA MTB 26x1.95
    Pedals ORBEA MTB
    Seat post ORBEA OC-I
    Saddle ORBEA 3

Gary Fisher Trek Marlin

MARLIN D 29er
    Specification
    Frameset

Sizes : 15.5, 17.5, 19, 21, 23"
    Frame : Alpha Gold Aluminum, butted & hydroformed tubing, cold-forged dropouts & bottom bracket, G2 Geometry
    SR Suntour XCM w/mechanical lockout, preload, custom G2 Geometry, 51mm offset, 100mm travel

Drivetrain

Shifters : SRAM X4, 8 speed
    Front Deraileur : Shimano Altus
    Rear Deraileur : SRAM X4
    Crank : Shimano Altus M311, 42/32/22
    Cassette : Shimano HG31 11-34, 8 speed
    Pedals : Wellgo ATB, boron axle, alloy cage

Wheels

Wheels : Formula DC20 alloy front hub, Shimano M475 alloy rear hub; Bontrager AT-850 disc 29 32-hole rims rear hub; Bontrager Ranger Disc 32-hole rims
    Tires : Bontrager 29-2, 29x2.1"

Components

Saddle : Bontrager Evoke 1
    Seat Post : Bontrager SSR, 27.2mm, 20mm offset
    Handlebar : Bontrager Low Riser, 25.4mm, 5mm rise, 9 degree sweep
    Stem : Bontrager Approved, 25.4mm
    Headset : 1-1/8" threadless, semi-integrated, semi-cartridge bearings
    Brakeset : Tektro Novela mechanical disc brakes, 6-bolt, 160mm rotors

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Can you guys please share some disadvantage and advantages of these bikes as per the spercification, And if i go for Trek 29er what are the changes i should do to make it fully compatible to bear trails..

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Zaideesh, what everyone is trying to say is the wheel size will make the most difference between the two bikes. You don't need to worry about the components at this price. Both the bikes look almost exactly the same between the two component specs that were posted.

A bike with 26 wheels and a bike with 29 inch wheels ride very differently. I have owned and ridden both a lot in the past. You need to ride both of these bikes, decide if you want the quick handling and acceleration of the little wheels, Orbea, or ability to roll over rocks roots,etc., larger stock wheels will be heavier, but once they get rolling they go, and 29 inch bikes are usually more stable, especially on the downhills, due to their long wheelbase. (This is a simplified version of the differences between the wheel sizes.)

In short, ride both bikes, and buy the bike that you feel the most comfortable riding. Good luck and let us know what you choose.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.