1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Opinions Trek 3900 or Giant Revel 1

I'm a newbie haven't really rode a bike in years and I'm getting the itch to start riding again, I'm not gonna be a hardcore trail rider but if I decide I wanna hop on a trail I want a bike that's fit for it entry level around 500$. So I found 2 possibilities and the bikes are the Trek 3900 and Giant Revel 1 so I thought I would ask the opinions of the professionals on the board. I'd appreciate any info I can get and thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ride both and see which one fits better they are similarly specd so ride them both or check this site out for side by side [URL="http://mountain-bikes.findthebest.com/compare/21-61/Trek-3900-Disc-Mountain-Bike-vs-Giant-Revel-1-W-Mountain-Bike"]

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm a newbie also, but I picked up the Giant Revel 1 about two months ago and I love it. Compared to everything else in the 500 dollar price range the Revel is a good choice IMO

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'd go with the giant. While the fork is still not very good, it is 'up' from the one on the trek. As are the rest of the parts in general. Just make sure it is a good fit, or you won't end up riding it at all.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Haven't ridden the Trek, but I bought a Revel 1 recently and i LOVE THE HOLY CRAP out of this bike.

Best advice my friend gave me before I bought one, was go ride a few, make sure you get the right size and get one that feels right. I ride specialized, giant, GT and some others before deciding on the giant.

mtbr member
    I sell both bikes at the shop i work at, the Revel 1 is hands down a better bike. Virtually every part on it, especially frame, fork, and wheels is/are a step up from any of the 3 series.

the truth
    i have a revel 1 and i ride trails and rode with it its great i actually prefer a hard tail i seem to be the only one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    just got a Revel 1 last weekend. Seems like a very solid frame, the drivetrain works great for me, and the fork doesn't seem to be as "bad" as people say... That being said, I did get a flat tire on just my fourth ride. That has nothing to do with the quality of the bike, though

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    what about the revel 2? what are the differences b/w the revel 1 and 2?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Just bought a Revel 1 for $325 and took it out tonight, very nice indeed for a sub $500 bike... Going to upgrade a few things over time, no hurry though. Towed our WeeHoo iGo trailer with a 30+lbs (3year old) child, bike handled well, and daughter told me to slow down, lolol...
    Last edited by cos_mtb; 09-04-2011 at 10:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I just got the Giant Revel 0 a few week's ago and love it. Great bike for everything.

KC Weekend Warrior
    Revel is a good purchase - seems like similar components to similarly priced Specialized, and better components than similarly priced Trek.
    '12 Giant Trance X1, Mavic Crossride Wheels, StansTubeless, SPD Pedals

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cos_mtb View Post
    Just bought a Revel 1 for $325 and took it out tonight, very nice indeed for a sub $500 bike... Going to upgrade a few things over time, no hurry though. Towed our WeeHoo iGo trailer with a 30+lbs (3year old) child, bike handled well, and daughter told me to slow down, lolol...
    Where can you get it that cheap?? Or did you buy used?
    The lowest price i found in chicago area is $450 (new)
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I got my 2012 Giant Revel 1 lastweek and love it best bang for your buck

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pacavaca View Post
    Where can you get it that cheap?? Or did you buy used?
    The lowest price i found in chicago area is $450 (new)
    Thanks
    Mine was a used 2011 rental bike. Has some scratches and a little dirty, but still pretty cheap. Trimmed the bars down a little and a new pair of pedals and I'm gtg for now.

Mike

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Ok, got a bit worried that im being overcharged
    Hopefully picking one up this weekend. Not quite sure wheither its going to be revel 1 or revel 0
    Seems like revel 0 has better fork.. Anybody has any input on that ? It will be my first bike...
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    go the giant

mtbr member
    The revel 0 does have a better fork imho. Got my first entry lvl bike last month researched the hell out of them. Funny thing is I was super pro giant til I sat on my cannondale trail 29 ; ). Might want to try the cannondale trail line my gf got a 26 rides better then my dads revel 2. For the price the revel 0 is great. Like many say test ride and see what you like more.
    Happy riding good luck on your new bike!!!
    Fat birds cant fly
    But they can jump rocks and roots ; )

mtbr member
    Wait my dads is a revel 1 sorry.
    Fat birds cant fly
    But they can jump rocks and roots ; )

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannyace View Post
    The revel 0 does have a better fork imho. Got my first entry lvl bike last month researched the hell out of them. Funny thing is I was super pro giant til I sat on my cannondale trail 29 ; ). Might want to try the cannondale trail line my gf got a 26 rides better then my dads revel 2. For the price the revel 0 is great. Like many say test ride and see what you like more.
    Happy riding good luck on your new bike!!!
    Thanks man!
    "Fat birds cant fly
    But they can jump rocks and roots ; ) " -- thats funny!)

mtbr member
    I'm also a newbie. A couple of different bike shops really had some bad things to say about Trek mountain bikes. My brother purchase a 2011 Giant Revel 0 and loves it.

Knowledge over Swag
    Aug 2011
    I got the Giant Revel 0 from Deerfield Cyclery in Illinois for 550. Awesome bike!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ej63090 View Post
    I got the Giant Revel 0 from Deerfield Cyclery in Illinois for 550. Awesome bike!
    sounds like a good deal! , this shop is only 4 miles away from me, might do the same ! picking something up this weekend !

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ej63090 View Post
    What year did u get? Either way nice find.... Pics??? Can't go wrong with Giant