mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Opinions on Giant Rainier

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am a total newbie to the sport and had a two part question regarding the rainier. 1) Is the Rainier a good bike despite the lower end shock 2)Should I get the Giant Rainier for $600 or pay more for a XTC2. I imagine i can get the xtc2 for about 900 out the door.

I have read the reviews and peoples comment and in general it seems that people think the rainier is a good bike. The one that i am looking at is the 2004 that comes with the judy sl u turn. I read the reviews for the judys and they dont seem very good. Will i be able to notice the difference between different forks since i am a total beginner. I plan on riding easy trails for now since i am totally out of shape.The bike is intended to get me back in shape plus its something i alwasys wanted to try.

Thanks

phat giant

Good job!

Well I don't have much experience with the XTC2 although I've read good reviews about it.. But I have the 04 Rainier and I love it.. it's a good quality bike and can really take a beating. The components are good for stock, although I replaced the clipless pedals for some Truvativ flats. The brakes are excellent.. that was one of the main selling points for me... good o'l Avid mechanicals.. no messy hydraulic fluid changes, with great stopping power. Yes, the only thing that really bothers me is the fork.. I'll be upgrading that next year, but for now it's fine.. it works... And from what your saying about the kind of trails your starting out on, the fork should be sufficient. In the end, it's a good quality bike for a good price. I plan on having mine for a long time, even when I go FS (full suspention)
    Good luck..!!
    You could also check out the Giant forum at the bottom of the main forum site page for more opinions.
    cheers..!!
    b_r

I like Monkeys
    Quote Originally Posted by abmw
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am a total newbie to the sport and had a two part question regarding the rainier. 1) Is the Rainier a good bike despite the lower end shock 2)Should I get the Giant Rainier for $600 or pay more for a XTC2. I imagine i can get the xtc2 for about 900 out the door.

I have read the reviews and peoples comment and in general it seems that people think the rainier is a good bike. The one that i am looking at is the 2004 that comes with the judy sl u turn. I read the reviews for the judys and they dont seem very good. Will i be able to notice the difference between different forks since i am a total beginner. I plan on riding easy trails for now since i am totally out of shape.The bike is intended to get me back in shape plus its something i alwasys wanted to try.

Thanks
    Personally I think that the Rainier is THE best first bike out there. It has good enough components that it will last until you're totally addicted and ready to spend thousands My wife's Rainier was great and I've even taken some of the components and put them on her new full suspension I built for her. Giant gives you a lot of bang for the buck and the Rainier is one of their best buys IMHO. As for the fork, if you're starting out don't worry about it. Just ride it and learn. And good luck for getting into shape! I started riding over 30 lbs ago and I've never been healthier in my life!
    What do I want to be when I grow up.....Dead!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by VaughnA
    Personally I think that the Rainier is THE best first bike out there. It has good enough components that it will last until you're totally addicted and ready to spend thousands My wife's Rainier was great and I've even taken some of the components and put them on her new full suspension I built for her. Giant gives you a lot of bang for the buck and the Rainier is one of their best buys IMHO. As for the fork, if you're starting out don't worry about it. Just ride it and learn. And good luck for getting into shape! I started riding over 30 lbs ago and I've never been healthier in my life!
    I agree with VaughnA 100%. BTW, I have a 2002 XTCSE2, but for the money I I might buy the Ranier if I had to do it over again.

Ride the fork and when you wear it out, you can replace it for less than the difference of the price.

OT: Vaughn, are you guys still riding up at Candlers, Mt? I'd like to come up that way again, smaller group, bigger ride.... (and same Guiness Pints afterwards )

I like Monkeys

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by bmateo
    I agree with VaughnA 100%. BTW, I have a 2002 XTCSE2, but for the money I I might buy the Ranier if I had to do it over again.

Ride the fork and when you wear it out, you can replace it for less than the difference of the price.

OT: Vaughn, are you guys still riding up at Candlers, Mt? I'd like to come up that way again, smaller group, bigger ride.... (and same Guiness Pints afterwards )
    OT: Yep still riding there and other places mostly around here. Trying to balance the Road/MTB riding. I'm keep mentioning to the guys that we need to get down your way but I don't get a lot of interest. I think that 2 hours is about the range limit for most of us. Maybe I'll bring the missus with me sometime and we'll just head down by ourselves. Both of us have new bikes to break in. Come on up anytime, maybe we wont get (as) lost this time. We could do half at Candler's and half peaksview park (easier but FAST).
    What do I want to be when I grow up.....Dead!

"El Whatever"

Get the Rainier...

fantastic bike and it's too soon for you to start worrying about suspension settings, maintenance and all that. Your primary goal now is get the skills and worry about the ride for you to be able to ejoy riding.

Do not upgrade the fork or some costly components. You'd rather save that money for the next bike (a entry-level FS) in a year or two. The only components worth of upgrade are the pedals and saddle as you can take them to the new bike. Ride the bike as it is until it die on you.

Welcome to this sweet and healthy addiction.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Thanks for your comments guys!

I appreciate the help and input.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by abmw

Thanks
    I've noticed some bike stores call that the 2004 model but on Giant's site they call it the 2003 Spring Edition.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dissonance
    I've noticed some bike stores call that the 2004 model but on Giant's site they call it the 2003 Spring Edition.
    Gaint has been known to come out with mid season models. They’re the world's largest bike manufacturers and they go thru components like crazy. As they run low on components, they’ll respec a bike mid season. Giant is been pretty good at keep bikes at about the same level with relatively equivalent parts. I wouldn’t worry if a bike is a spring edition or not.

If a LBS tells you that a spring edition bike is the next years model, then they’re confused or they’re trying to pull a fast one on you. Either way, you should be very cautious when dealing with a shop like that.