1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    Jyn
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Opinions on this bike

Last edited by Jyn; 06-18-2013 at 08:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
    Aggressive Full Suspension Trailbike

I plan on offering in the 600+ range. I really can't find a lot of info on the brand itself, but it seems like a solid bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If I remember correctly Origin-8 is brought in by J&B Importers, kinda like their house brand. I don't think that particular model is even available anymore and hasn't been for sometime. I would assume that bike is probably around 6 years old. You need to decide what an out of production 6 year old bike is worth to you.

Jyn
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'm also looking at a 2012 Jamis Dakar XCT Pro Carbon for $1600, but I'm having a hard time seeing what the above bike won't due for me that the Jamis will.

mtbr member
    I'm also looking at a 2012 Jamis Dakar XCT Pro Carbon for $1600, but I'm having a hard time seeing what the above bike won't due for me that the Jamis will.
    With the Jamis you get a bike that is in my opinion in a totally different ball park. To me, comparing the Jamis to the Origin is like comparing apples to oranges. Both bikes will both get you to and from point A to point B but the ride is totally different. I would imagine the ride on the Jamis would be much more enjoyable.

One thing you need to ponder when buying used especially in a situation like this when the bike is no longer even produced, what are you going to do if something goes wrong with the bike? You have no recourse. Are spare parts even being produced, can you even get a derailleur hanger for this frame? How much abuse has this frame seen? The bike is about 6 years old, there's some things you need to consider.

I am not against buying used I have purchased used bikes and frames numerous times but what I was buying was still in production and was not that old.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Re: Opinions on this bike

http://austin.craigslist.org/bik/3867819974.html

I plan on offering in the 600+ range. I really can't find a lot of info on the brand itself, but it seems like a solid bike.

Seems like it might be too much, have you checked eBay completed listings for going price of it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Aggressive Full Suspension Trailbike

a bike like that needs to be in the 200-300 range but partially depends on the age of the parts.

Would add that the suspension looks like a URT design which is known for bad pedal bob. It was an evolutionary dead end on suspensions. (Im no expert though)

Jyn
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Last edited by Jyn; 06-18-2013 at 08:38 PM.