1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Opinions?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Opinions?

Saw this on eBay...it looks like a decent set up. I am looking for a bike at $350 or less. For XC/agressive XC--nothing really crazy. The RST Gila is the T6. You can also make an offer, so if this is too much for the bike, what would be a reasonable price or is it just no good at all?

Alternatively, what are some other options in the <$350 arena. I am open to buying used or new...just want to know what to look for. Any and all help is appreciated.

Here is the ebay link:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123

mtbr member
    if youre considering online, you should check out bikesdirect.com or Felt bikes. they have some solid deals

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have seen bikes direct. I have also been cautioned that without a strong basis of knowledge of putting bikes together, you could easily spend an additional $75-$100 on getting it put together and tuned. If this is off-base, please let me know (but I don't want it to become a bikesdirect.com discussion). They do seem to have some solid set ups. Which on their site would be the best deal at about $350 or less?

As far as Felt Bicycles, I checked them out, but am not finding anything suitable under $469 in the Q series. The lowest model is 24'' tires which will be a bit small for me. By the way, I am 5'8'' to 5'9'' and about 175-180lbs.

I have also heard a bit of talk about the sawback 5xx series...it looks decent, but I have also heard the warnings of dept. store bikes. Is this one different?

MTB skillz = NADA
    What about one of the 3,000 series Trek bikes? Or maybe a base model Specialized Hardrock (or even one of the All Mountain Hardtails)?
    Since I don't like writing, I don't have a blog to pimp. This space for rent.

mtbr member
    yeah, if you have a decent mechanical inclination as well as some patience, you shouldnt have a problem assembling/tuning your own bike. most bikes you order online come ~90% assembled, its just like putting handlebars and front wheel on. i recently purchased the motobecane 700ht from bikesdirect. what i did was look up a bunch of videos on youtube on how to true a wheel, adjust a RD and FD, etc... and it all looked like stuff i could do, so i just ordered a multi-tool for it and purchased the bike i wanted. hope this helps a little. have fun.

MTB skillz = NADA
    Also, go to the REI Outlet website and they have some DiamondBack bikes in your price range.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by microse
    I have seen bikes direct. I have also been cautioned that without a strong basis of knowledge of putting bikes together, you could easily spend an additional $75-$100 on getting it put together and tuned. If this is off-base, please let me know (but I don't want it to become a bikesdirect.com discussion). They do seem to have some solid set ups. Which on their site would be the best deal at about $350 or less?
    The moto 700HT & the Windsor Cliff4700 are ncie deals at that price point. I personally got the Windsor about a month back.
    As far as Felt Bicycles, I checked them out, but am not finding anything suitable under $469 in the Q series. The lowest model is 24'' tires which will be a bit small for me. By the way, I am 5'8'' to 5'9'' and about 175-180lbs.
    I'm not sure why the Felt's were mentioned here.. coz afaik they are just another name brand company that is gonna cost you a bit more for the same amount of bike (in terms of components) when compared to BD.

I have also heard a bit of talk about the sawback 5xx series...it looks decent, but I have also heard the warnings of dept. store bikes. Is this one different?
    The Forge is NOT a regular dept store bike. They are more in the BD mould and are pretty solid bikes. The only reason ppl mistake them for dept store bikes is coz tehy are sold on the target website. Note, the target WEBSITE. you will NOT be able to find a forge bike instore at target.
    There is a pretty big thread on the Forge's here at MTBR. you should look it up.

usually cranky
    those forge bikes are in a different class i guess. better than a dept store bike about as good as a lbs bike. at least thats what i have heard.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The Trek 3000s are okay...I was hoping for something around 4000 level...the 3000s just seem a bit lacking for me. But you think they will hold up well to aggressive XC riding well?

As far as Specialized hard-tail all mountains, I didn't see any...only full suspension. Did I miss something?

I don't mind buying on the net, nor do I mind buying used. If on the net, bikesdirect is the best vendor for the quality you get, what model hosts the best components. And if buying used, what models would be good to look for that should fall in to my price range?

Lastly, I am trying to get details for a used Trek Police Bike...Since I don't know them yet, in general, how would a Trek police bike style hold up to riding trails, with a set of trail tired on them at least? Thank you again everyone.

MTB skillz = NADA
    The Specialized P.1 AM is the All Mountain Hardtail, but I don't think you can get one for less than $400.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I thought the P1 was more of a dirt-jumping bike. I am looking for versatility and durability, but I didn't think this style of bike was best suited. Am I incorrect on this? I can get a used, but well-maintained Cannondale Chase 2 (2007) for $375 with mostly stock parts and a 2-crank set up. I think it has much better components than the P1, but again, I thought it was a DJ bike. If this is well-suited to the kind of riding I am thinking of doing, please let me know. Thank you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I thought the P1 was more of a dirt-jumping bike. I am looking for versatility and durability, but I didn't think this style of bike was best suited. Am I incorrect on this? I can get a used, but well-maintained Cannondale Chase 2 (2007) for $375 with mostly stock parts and a 2-crank set up. I think it has much better components than the P1, but again, I thought it was a DJ bike. If this is well-suited to the kind of riding I am thinking of doing, please let me know. Thank you.
    The P1 & the P1 All Mountain are different bikes. A little confusing in terminology though.

The P1 is your regular DJ bike while the P1AM is a hybrid DJ/Hardtail XC bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for the clarification, stalker. I finally found it. And I can definitely see the difference in geometry, though it does seem ever so slight.

The MSRP for the P1AM isn't that bad (still above budget, but not bad). I can easily look up reviews on each major component, but I am uneducated on their general worth versus the worth of the MSRP. Is the $480 a reasonable price and how well would this bike fair with moderately aggressive riding? I am in Florida so there aren't too many crazy trails.

Are there any bikes similar in style, but easier on the wallet? And similar in quality? Obviously the Specialized name carries a bit of weight, so maybe the same could be had for less...

Does the seemingly minor difference in geo make a big difference for DJ versus AM? would the 2007 Cannondale Chase 2 be a poor choice as an AM type of bike? Thank you again for all the input.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    It may also be helpful to add that the frame of the Chase 2 I can get is a medium...which would be better for larger riders. I am 5'8''-5'9''. So maybe this would be more suitable for that which I I am looking to do? I am simultaneously trying to read up and figure it out, but there are so many conflicting reviews and comments so it is difficult. I am just hoping to get some opinions on what is best for me.

I think what I may be looking for is something that would perform like a Spec. P1AM but would fit in to my $350 budget (and with better specs--I know part of what you pay for is the fact that the frame says Specialized). Thoughts? Thanks.
    Last edited by microse; 04-05-2010 at 10:20 PM.