1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Opie..right for me?

Hello all,

I found a good deal on a Gary Fisher Opie. The price is 310, What i want to know does the Opie have potential for a good trail bike. I like to jump but I love the trails. My K2 Zed sport is not cutting it. So is the Opie a nice bike??

I post too much.
    If you want to go 90% jumping and the rest trail, then yes, if not I'd pass.

A DJ bike is a DJ bike, it will ride trails, but will hold you back with weight and poor trail geometry.

OnTheTrailAgain
    My experience on my '07 Opie on my first trail ride was not pleasant.

I'm sure a much better rider would've done way better than I and I believe that most of the time, the rider makes the bike, but with a bike "not" built for trails there's just so far you can go with it skills-wise. However, if you were to get a full bore trail bike, then you can grow faster.

While I'm not an experienced trail rider, I'm a good enough rider to know that Opie's are not for trails. However, for what their for, it's an excellent bike (jumping, urban assault, etc...). It's a frickin' beast...a BMX bike for grown-ups like me!

If you want a trail bike, get a trail bike. If you want a great street bike that you can use for light trail riding, keep the Opie.

Or, keep the Opie and get a trail bike.

mtbr member
    keep the zed for riding trails and buy the opie because its a good price, then maybe in a year or two depending on which you do more (trail riding or jumping) upgrade that bike or buy a better version