1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Onguard Bulldog DT Combo U lock & cable

As I asked in another thread I'd like to know if any lock could protect my new Giant Yukon FX to leave it outside when going to stores. I read about the Faghetaboutit (whaetever) lock that offers $3500 in protection but the lock has to be left there to get the money back and weights nearly 1/3 of my bike.

I just saw the Onguard Bulldog DT combo lock which has a U lock and a fairly thick cable. It offers I beleive $2001 in protection. Does anyone know if this could protect my Yukon and what conditions are needed to get the money back in case of theft?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Do not count on a lock to keep your bike secure.

The best a lock can do is protect your frame, wheels, and cassette. What about the rest of the bike? Give me a pair of diagonal cutters, 4mm and 5mm hex keys and I'll have the brake calipers, handlebar controls, handlebar, stem, and fork off the bike in a flash. With a pair of bolt cutters I'll snip the chain and take both derailleurs, too. Plus the saddle and seatpost if you were foolish enough to leave them behind. And the warranty from your lock company won't cover a bit of it...

A lock may deter a casual thief, but it won't deter a professional bike thief or somebody who's just after components. Best thing to do is make sure your Homeowner's or Renter's insurance will cover the bike if stolen or vandalized. If I have to go into a store, I leave my bike with a buddy or I wheel it in and ask a store employee to keep an eye on it.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Don't ride the bike if you can't replace it. Get an older model off craigslist like people have already told you. Read their posts! Some people can actually offer good advice on here.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.