1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Good job! One upgrade to rule them all

If you could only upgrade one major component on your bike, what would it be and why? I'm craving a burlier steed on a budget (eg brakes, fork, wheelset, drivetrain, etc).

I'm thinkin wheelset, but please give me enough $0.02 to spend it.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

One upgrade to rule them all

Quote Originally Posted by bluntrager View Post
    If you could only upgrade one major component on your bike, what would it be and why? I'm craving a burlier steed on a budget (eg brakes, fork, wheelset, drivetrain, etc).

I'm thinkin wheelset, but please give me enough $0.02 to spend it.
    Depends entirely on the current components on the bike.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Inspector Gadget

Dropper seat post... You can climb in a proper position yet you can drop the seat for DH and twisty tight flowy stuff. I think my dropper gets used more than deraileurs on a ride.

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    Quote Originally Posted by abeckstead View Post
    Dropper seat post... You can climb in a proper position yet you can drop the seat for DH and twisty tight flowy stuff. I think my dropper gets used more than deraileurs on a ride.
    ^^ This!

[/thread]

I put one on my bike a couple months ago and I can't imagine ever riding without one!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    My bike is a 2013 Trek Mamba, so all of the components are on the lower end of things. Dropper post would be awesome, but most of my riding is all up then all down, and I don't mind hoppin off at the top to drop. Perhaps I'll rethink that next time I ride though. I actually went to my lbs a few weeks ago to look into dropper posts but ended up stocking up on gear instead (camelbak, shoes, knee pads). ...i imagine a good wheelset would be too much $$$ too?

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Upgradeitis! This will fall on deaf ears, just like if someone told me the same thing, but wait until you break something and replace it with a lighter part.

Do you have a good workstand and toolkit? Less fun to buy, but then you can have a cocktail and tear down/rebuild your bike. That's fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Feb 2012

Re: One upgrade to rule them all

Dropper, then wheels, but don't skimp on em, a marginal wheel upgrade is a waste of money.

Sent from (redacted by nsa)
    ------------------------------------------------
    They're justified and they're ancient and they like to roam the land

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by BigSteve in CO View Post
    Upgradeitis! This will fall on deaf ears, just like if someone told me the same thing, but wait until you break something and replace it with a lighter part.

Do you have a good workstand and toolkit? Less fun to buy, but then you can have a cocktail and tear down/rebuild your bike. That's fun!
    Agreed.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    As others have said the current components matter, personally id say the biggest upgrade would be suspension, after the frame design, it deals with virtually everything, every force will go to the suspension before it goes into the body, suspension can make a ride completely rotten or the best ever. A poor set up top range bike will be shocking to ride.

Good bang for buck, albeit expensive one.

I think non performance parts thought the most important thing is anything that sets the bike up for you, so getting the right size bars, stem, cranks, set (dropper if necessary)
    Last edited by Driftking; 08-10-2013 at 07:17 AM.

local trails rider
    What would I upgrade?
    I'd get brakes that can stand riding at temps below -15Celsius.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The first, best, and cheap upgrade I have done to all my bikes is tires.
    2012 STUMPJUMPER COMP 29ER
    1998 KLEIN QUANTUM RACE

AZ
    banned
    Skills.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Wheels!!!!!!

High Gravity Haze
    My favorite upgrade that I've made was on the engine. Dropped 30 or so pounds, strengthened the core, arms, legs, and updated the technical abilities. That was the best upgrade I've ever made. Next best was the wheelset with a lighter cassette and tires. IN addition to being stronger, the bike was significantly lighter making me a little faster with better endurance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Your bike is being discontinued for next year so I would sell it an negotiate for a deal on a Superfly AL.
    If you want to keep it I would get a Manitou Tower Pro fork, a light front wheel with changes of endcaps like aa ArchEx/Hope Pro2 from Wiggle and a SLX front brake from Bluesky.

Nor­wegr
    Wheelset!

Rotational weightsavings have a huge impact on your ride, as does stiffness.

mtbr member
    I would think that it would depend entirely on what aspect of your bike you were least satisfied with.

For me, brakes were the first to get upgraded, then drivetrain, then wheels with a dropper post in the mix.

But the "upgrade when it breaks" is a great philosophy.

CONVERSELY, bear in mind you're going to get a better price when you buy the whole group than when you go piece-by-piece.
    ​mountain biking is fun.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSteve in CO View Post

A workstand would be good. I have a bunch of tools. Need to get a torque wrench though...thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime View Post
    What would I upgrade?
    I'd get brakes that can stand riding at temps below -15Celsius.
    Sounds like a good jacket might come in handy too then! Brrrrrr

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by NTIMD8 View Post
    The first, best, and cheap upgrade I have done to all my bikes is tires.
    Can't wait to get new tires, but won't be doing that til I run all the tread down. Better get riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    Skills.
    If only those were for sale...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Spec7 View Post
    My favorite upgrade that I've made was on the engine. Dropped 30 or so pounds, strengthened the core, arms, legs, and updated the technical abilities. That was the best upgrade I've ever made. Next best was the wheelset with a lighter cassette and tires. IN addition to being stronger, the bike was significantly lighter making me a little faster with better endurance.
    Working on the engine now! I've dropped ~15 pounds, need to add some strength training to that though. Wheelset is looking like a strong contender.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Your bike is being discontinued for next year so I would sell it an negotiate for a deal on a Superfly AL.
    If you want to keep it I would get a Manitou Tower Pro fork, a light front wheel with changes of endcaps like aa ArchEx/Hope Pro2 from Wiggle and a SLX front brake from Bluesky.
    I didn't know it's being discontinued...does that pretty much mean it's going to be a huge pain in the @ss to get parts for it in the future? Does the Manitou Tower Pro fork work with G2 geometry? I heard there aren't many options for fork upgrades for my bike. Front end upgrades sound like a much more feasible idea, rather than trying to take care of both ends at once.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I didn't know it's being discontinued...does that pretty much mean it's going to be a huge pain in the @ss to get parts for it in the future? Does the Manitou Tower Pro fork work with G2 geometry? I heard there aren't many options for fork upgrades for my bike. Front end upgrades sound like a much more feasible idea, rather than trying to take care of both ends at once.
    The Manitou is 48mm offset compared to 51 for G2, so you may not notice a slightly slower steering response.
    You won't have any difficultly getting parts-they are universal except for the fork. But your bikes resale value will be affected. With no current model with the name buyers won't know it.
    Removing weight from the front end is the most noticeable upgrade.
    For the rear shifting upgrade a full length housing and slick stainless cable from REI will make a big difference for cheap. Drill out the stops.
    Last edited by eb1888; 08-11-2013 at 04:19 AM.

local trails rider
    Sounds like a good jacket might come in handy too then! Brrrrrr
    I have a good jacket, and gloves and socks - which means that -15C isn't actually cold for me. It seems to be a bit on the chilly side for my current brakes, though.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast