1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Which One?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Which One?

Hey guys,

I'm not really a beginner since I've been riding mountainbikes since I was in 6th grade (I'm 35 now), but I do consider myself a beginner when it comes to FS since I rode hardtails mainly.

Anyway, I usually ride 70% road/gravel/dirt, 30% rocky/technical. Lots of uphill. So I suppose that puts me in the XC category? I'm 5'8", 175lb. Mainly a fitness rider.

That said, my friends just got into mtb and they got FS bikes. I'm ok with my bike (BH Expert Pro, epicon fork) but I'm curious about FS.

Looking around, one store is offering a new old stock 2010 Commencal Super 4 frame for ~$550. Another is selling me a complete Cannondale rz one twenty 2 with xfuzion shocks ~$1600. With the Commencal, I was just planning on getting a new suntour axon or epicon fork, all other parts swap with my current bike. It comes with a Fox rear. Lastly, there's a 2010 Fuji Outland 1.0 frame with rock shox rear.

What do you guys think?

a) Commencal
    b) Cannondale
    c) Fuji
    d) None. Stick with HT get better fork

Thanks!

lorsban

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by lorsban; 05-06-2013 at 06:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You need to find out what parts off your bike would fit the other frames before thinking about swapping parts.Headsets, fork steerer tubes ,cranksets ,hubs, seat tubes all come in different sizes. A super deal on a bike that doesn't fit isn't a deal. Have you test rode any FS bikes bikes? How much do you work on your bikes ,do you have the tools that you need ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Re: Which One?

Well I know for sure 90% of my parts will fit the commencal except the seat post and maybe cables - but thats cool.

For the fuji, I'd also need a new headset plus fork and hubs/shock cause it's tapered.

I won't put it on myself, the shops will handle all the installation.

Haven't tried any FS ever but everyone I talk to keep making it seem like FS is the Only way to travel haha! They say I'll be able to ride longer, ride better and with way more comfort - at the expense of price and a couple of pounds.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Re: Which One?

Another option has come up, 2010 Specialized FSR XC Comp. Gona see it later or tomorrow...