1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Oldie But Newbie

Hello members of MTBR. I have a question. I'm 6'4" tall and 230lbs inseam is 36". I'm looking to get back into bike riding again, I use to ride alot when I was younger. I did purchase a XR-Comp Mongoose from Wally World, that was a big mistake. The frame broke on it after about 4 months of riding. I did get my money back. So now I'm looking for a more dependable bike. I want a full suspension one. I was wondering if anybody on here had any suggestions forme. I'm not yet to of an agressive rider. I do like to jump and go fast on trails. I hd been riding Madrone Trail at Canyon Lake, TX and also Flat Rock Ranch in Comfort, TX. I'm interested in maybe doing some races for the fun of it. So any helpful hints on what brand and model of a bike, in the $1000 range, I would appreciate it. I have looked at the IBEX bikes online, but then again I don't know alot about any brand of MTB now days.

spec4life???..smh...
    Thats gonna be a hard price range to find a quality FS. MAybe you should consider a hardtail. You can get a quality HT for that price with high end componets. If you are stuck on a FS bike check out the Giant yukon FX. This is probably one of the few bikes to consider in your price range and leave a little for accesories.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Well I probally could go up to $1200 and over time up grade the bikes componets. What I really want for now is a frame that will with stand my size and weight and not brake and will last for a good while.