1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Older Giant Trance 2 VS New, Cheaper 29

Been out of MTB'ing since before 29er's, but want to get back into it.

For the same $$'s I can but a nice, but older (o5 or 06) Giant Trance 2 FS bike. It is in very good shape and all is OEM. New tires, and fresh tune up including the suspension. And it fits me perfect.

Or, from the LBS, for the same $$'s, I can but a 29'er with front suspension only. A lower quality bike than the trance, but a step or two up from entry level.

So, used FS, higher comp's, and 26 in

VS

New, lower comps and a 29in?????

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Airborne Goblin has current X7 level components in a HT 29. Plus for a few more bikes in stock in 18 and up these ship with the dual air Reba fork. 2013 Reba is solo air and less tuneable for small bump compliance.
    Airborne Bicycles. Goblin
    You can look for a used 29 like a Scott Scale Elite.

mtbr member
    What kind of 29er? Does it fit you?

In any case, a 7-8 yr old bike is getting a bit on in age. You will probably end up servicing it a bit more than you like.

I'd get a new bike, personally, if I could find a decent one for a similar price.

No Stranger to danger....
    Save up and get the base model FS 29er giant tranceX, its only $1800, then you will have the best of both worlds..
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Foster55 View Post
    Been out of MTB'ing since before 29er's, but want to get back into it.

For the same $$'s I can but a nice, but older (o5 or 06) Giant Trance 2 FS bike. It is in very good shape and all is OEM. New tires, and fresh tune up including the suspension. And it fits me perfect.

Or, from the LBS, for the same $$'s, I can but a 29'er with front suspension only. A lower quality bike than the trance, but a step or two up from entry level.

So, used FS, higher comp's, and 26 in

VS

New, lower comps and a 29in?????
    how tall are you?
    what kind of trails? (smooth?, rocky, rooty, sandy, technical climbs? etc)

For the average rider on an average trail, the hard tail 29 is going to be a better choice. Even in austin where we have a ton of rocks and technical climbing, a hardtail 29er is actually fine most of the time.

a full suspension lets you be lazy and sit and spin over rocky terrain. If your trails are more groomed and smooth (most multi user public trails are) then a 29 hardtail will be much better.

I ride a full suspension 29er on the rocky trails and a 26" hardtail on the more groomed trails

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by goodmojo View Post
    how tall are you?
    what kind of trails? (smooth?, rocky, rooty, sandy, technical climbs? etc)

For the average rider on an average trail, the hard tail 29 is going to be a better choice. Even in austin where we have a ton of rocks and technical climbing, a hardtail 29er is actually fine most of the time.

a full suspension lets you be lazy and sit and spin over rocky terrain. If your trails are more groomed and smooth (most multi user public trails are) then a 29 hardtail will be much better.

I ride a full suspension 29er on the rocky trails and a 26" hardtail on the more groomed trails
    I live between the Ouichita (sp?) and the Ozarks. Some really good riding, but far from groomed. So its kinda rocky and I'm 57 YO, so takes a little longer and a little more for me to get there.