Thread: Old or New?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Old or New?

I am an entry-level rider looking to get a nice mountain bike for once. All I've ever owned were K-Mart Huffies and now that has a toddler seat on it.

I want a nice, affordable bike of my own, and decided to check the classifieds in my area.

I came across a 1994 Cannondale Delta V700, and it looks like it is in really good condition. It's going for a reasonable price. I've read good things about these bikes, and they sound like they're tough. Vintage, but great.

Here's the question: do I spend my $$ on this oldie but goodie? Or do I go for a brand new bike in the same price range, like a GT Palomar? I don't know much about the GT, but I doubt it's a Cannondale v700.

Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Ride some. The geo on older bikes is different. Some people ride em to save some $, some for their vintage status, and some simply because they like em.
    Round and round we go

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    What's a 'reasonable price' ?
    The Bicycle Blue Book puts a price of $300 on the 93 model.

Will you ever want disc brakes ?
    People buy old bikes and later they want to put disc brakes on them but with some old bikes it can't be done.

Does it have a head shox fork ?
    Are parts readily available if it needs a service.

Is the frame on this old Cannondale the right size for you ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for the advice, all. I checked the Cannondale out with the owner, who had the bike tuned up at the local bike shop. He had new tires and a new seat put on, and a shifter repaired, before selling it. I took it for a spin and immediately loved it.

Me not being an experienced rider, I don't know what a good frame size feels like, but this does feel comfortable to ride.

I made the purchase, and at $250, it was a deal I couldn't pass up. I can't wait to hit the trails now.