1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Old or New?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Old or New?

I am an entry-level rider looking to get a nice mountain bike for once. All I've ever owned were K-Mart Huffies and now that has a toddler seat on it.

I want a nice, affordable bike of my own, and decided to check the classifieds in my area.

I came across a 1994 Cannondale Delta V700, and it looks like it is in really good condition. It's going for a reasonable price. I've read good things about these bikes, and they sound like they're tough. Vintage, but great.

Here's the question: do I spend my $$ on this oldie but goodie? Or do I go for a brand new bike in the same price range, like a GT Palomar? I don't know much about the GT, but I doubt it's a Cannondale v700.

Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Ride some. The geo on older bikes is different. Some people ride em to save some $, some for their vintage status, and some simply because they like em.
    Round and round we go

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    What's a 'reasonable price' ?
    The Bicycle Blue Book puts a price of $300 on the 93 model.

Will you ever want disc brakes ?
    People buy old bikes and later they want to put disc brakes on them but with some old bikes it can't be done.

Does it have a head shox fork ?
    Are parts readily available if it needs a service.

Is the frame on this old Cannondale the right size for you ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for the advice, all. I checked the Cannondale out with the owner, who had the bike tuned up at the local bike shop. He had new tires and a new seat put on, and a shifter repaired, before selling it. I took it for a spin and immediately loved it.

Me not being an experienced rider, I don't know what a good frame size feels like, but this does feel comfortable to ride.

I made the purchase, and at $250, it was a deal I couldn't pass up. I can't wait to hit the trails now.