1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Old Kona size?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Old Kona size?

I'm looking at an older (late 90's) Kona Kuna hardtail with a 19" frame.

I'm 6'3" tall, 240 lbs, 32" inseam. Will this size work for me?

The current Kona website says the current 19" bike should. Older ones any different?

Fat-tired Roadie
    I'm surprised the web site would put you on a 19" now. Over 6' tall is usually an XL, I think.

There's an old-school geometry a late '90s bike might have. They used to run smaller: shorter top tubes and shorter head tubes. What did you want to use the bike for?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Riding trails here in the SF Bay Area

R.I.P. DogFriend
    It's all about the top tube length for you. Some Konas were called XL that had 20" seat tubes IIRC. I'm a little over 6'4" and like a top tube in the 625mm (24.6") to 660mm (26") range. That is ETT I'm talking about where you measure from the center of the head tube horizontally (level) to the center of the seatpost.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Here you are mate, have a look here:

Catalogues | Kona Archive | Retrobike

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by kaltblitz View Post
    Riding trails here in the SF Bay Area
    It's worth getting a bike that fits you. I like to ask because people often just want to ride to the grocery store or with their kids or something.

I haven't lived in San Francisco in a while. But I remember the used bike market there being pretty good, with some good shops carrying a lot of used bikes. Visit Stanyan Street, between Oak and Frederick. There're a few shops doing a lot of used bikes there. Ride a bunch of bikes. Buy your favorite. Make sure to try some different sizes, so you know how that feels.

If SF's a bit far for you, get on the phone and call all the shops within easy striking distance. I think that bike shops provide a lot of value, but people too often skip straight to Craig's List and EBay these days.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    I would second the above advice.

I am five foot six with a 29" inside leg, and have always gone for 15" or 16" frames. My latest bike is a Kona FS and after trying the various sizes I felt happiest on the 17".

According to the Kona website I am on the edge of being too small for this bike, but it is perfect for me.
    I used to think it was all about standover height, but that's not the case at all....in fact the 17" has lower standover than the 15"

So the bottom line is, you need to try the bike out, to be sure. Frame sizes won't tell you if it fits you, they will only give you a guideline.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Agree with riding a few different bikes if you can.

Far as the Kona, you may well be fine on a 19". It's right in the ball park inseam-wise. Maybe a touch short in the cockpit.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.