1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Revivalll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    31

    OK to spray my bike down?

    I am an newb for about three months now and I have noticed quite a bit of dirt buliding up on some of my components. I wipe my bike down, especially the forks, clean my cogs and chain with a brush, and apply Pedros Ice stuff (whatever its called, to lazy to go to the garage) after every ride. But I am really tempted to take the hose to my bike, would it be ok if I sprayed it gently then wiped it down? Please dont tell my that I spent $800 on a bike and its not waterproof!

  2. #2
    Ancient Winged Rider
    Reputation: Dragoneyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    312
    Yes, and you can use dish soap to wash it. Just dry it off and re-lube. Keep it clean and your bike will last longer and be less likely to break down on the trail....

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,328
    dont spray directly on to any bearings or parts that seem sensative. light mist should do. you still gotta scrub it. re lube and make sure it is completely dry before you lube.

  4. #4
    local trails rider
    Reputation: perttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    11,897
    Just don't point pressurized water at any bearings and such.

  5. #5
    ...idios...
    Reputation: SteveUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    5,662
    You may find the Basic Cleaning and Maintenance Guide useful.
    .
    .


    What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,440
    Quote Originally Posted by Revivalll
    I am an newb for about three months now and I have noticed quite a bit of dirt buliding up on some of my components. I wipe my bike down, especially the forks, clean my cogs and chain with a brush, and apply Pedros Ice stuff (whatever its called, to lazy to go to the garage) after every ride. But I am really tempted to take the hose to my bike, would it be ok if I sprayed it gently then wiped it down? Please dont tell my that I spent $800 on a bike and its not waterproof!
    you'll be fine. i use simple green, engine degreaser, and a karcher pressure washer. my bike looks new all the time.

    mx

  7. #7
    Big Gulps, Alright!
    Reputation: Berkley's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,223
    I hose mine down, but not often. It's crazy what tiny gaps the water will get into...

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    145
    I never clean mine as it will get dirty and muddy the minute I go back on the trail. However, I make sure that I keep my drive train and fork clean and lubed...but I don't care if the frame, wheels or tires are dirty!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,440
    Quote Originally Posted by babu
    I never clean mine as it will get dirty and muddy the minute I go back on the trail. However, I make sure that I keep my drive train and fork clean and lubed...but I don't care if the frame, wheels or tires are dirty!
    a clean bike is a happy bike and a mechanically sound bike.

    mx

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,328
    Quote Originally Posted by mx_599
    a clean bike is a happy bike and a mechanically sound bike.

    mx
    but its not a fun bike unless it get dirty

  11. #11
    oh Lucky me
    Reputation: Exodus11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    669
    Quote Originally Posted by babu
    I never clean mine as it will get dirty and muddy the minute I go back on the trail. However, I make sure that I keep my drive train and fork clean and lubed...but I don't care if the frame, wheels or tires are dirty!


    ditto!
    when i do wash my bike, i use some simple green BIKE foam, a scrubby brush, and a garden hose. mainly just cleaning my drivetrain and forks. then i wait until the drivetrain is completely dry and re-lube. spin the cranks onto every gear, wipe the chain off.

    between washes, i use a shop towel to get the excess muck off my chain and freewheel. then lube it, spin it, wipe the excess and ride
    ...Dying is the easy part, its living that's the challenge...

    Ace Tour de Kids:
    Click Here To Help A Kid...

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    265
    I Never will hose down my bikes. I have seen the damage it does no matter how careful you are. It is not catastrophic, but it will rust out bearings and any other steel part. (including corrosion of aluminum. Titanium corrodes from chlorine).You can do it, but you just need to make sure everything is dry, including every bolt head and bearing.

    Personally, I wait for mud to dry, then I just brush it off. I also keep my drive train clean and lubed with a chain lube that does not build up or collect crap. (I use Rock 'n' Roll but everyone has their preferences). Would you hose off a child if they were muddy? (some do). I personally take the time to wipe it down by hand if I want it to look pretty for some reason.

    I do understand though that some places just have that horrible mud that will never come off and hosing a bike is needed.

    I just hate to see the life of a perfectly good bike shortened because someone wants it to look pretty.

  13. #13
    Thank a Soldier Today
    Reputation: Gun5ling3rX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by mx_599
    you'll be fine. i use simple green, engine degreaser, and a karcher pressure washer. my bike looks new all the time.

    mx
    Since no one will say it, DONT USE A PRESSURE WASHER!!! Light pressure hose..avoid hubs, bearings, and bottom bracket. Dry, lube and your good.

    I would; however, like to know if simple green is useful and where...
    "Named must your fear be before banish it you can." -Yoda
    08 GF X-Cal
    08 GF Superfly (A Fisher called Wanda Su)

  14. #14
    If you think you can
    Reputation: 62kona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,040
    Anyone have any suggestions for someone living in an apartment? I have taken my bike to the car wash before and hosed it down. And i've wiped it down on our patio. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

  15. #15
    Vaginatarian
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,686
    Quote Originally Posted by JustFuzzIt
    I Never will hose down my bikes. I have seen the damage it does no matter how careful you are. It is not catastrophic, but it will rust out bearings and any other steel part. (including corrosion of aluminum. Titanium corrodes from chlorine).You can do it, but you just need to make sure everything is dry, including every bolt head and bearing.

    Personally, I wait for mud to dry, then I just brush it off. I also keep my drive train clean and lubed with a chain lube that does not build up or collect crap. (I use Rock 'n' Roll but everyone has their preferences). Would you hose off a child if they were muddy? (some do). I personally take the time to wipe it down by hand if I want it to look pretty for some reason.

    I do understand though that some places just have that horrible mud that will never come off and hosing a bike is needed.

    I just hate to see the life of a perfectly good bike shortened because someone wants it to look pretty.
    water wont rust out bearings if they are properly greased,
    you would have to keep the aluminum wet for a very long time to get corrosion of any significance
    would you let the mud dry on a child and then scrub it off?
    this is a mountain bike not a watch
    there is nothing on a bike thats not on a car or motorcycle, do you not wash them either?
    you could wash your bike daily with soap & water and it wouldn't shorten the useful life
    in fact washing will actually lengthen the life of many components by removing the dirt and grit that will destroy the bearings faster than water will
    by letting the mud dry on the bike and wiping it off you are scratching the paint, and driving the grit into the greased areas

    virtually every manufacturer of frames and components recommends washing

  16. #16
    Vaginatarian
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,686
    Quote Originally Posted by 62kona
    Anyone have any suggestions for someone living in an apartment? I have taken my bike to the car wash before and hosed it down. And i've wiped it down on our patio. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
    take it out on the patio and get 1 bucket of warm water, pour it on the bike
    get a second bucket of soapy water (dish soap works fine) and a sponge and wash it
    get a third bucket of clean water and rinse
    bounce the bike to shake off free water, towell dry then clean & lube the chain
    finish line makes a pink wash that leaves a film that helps stop the flash rusting you sometimes get in bolt heads that have been scored
    the car wash is ok but keep the high pressure water away from any pivots or bearings

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •