Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Oh Oh, Shimano hone/8sp Xt Shft/8spCas/ config question

627 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  gdl357 
#1 · (Edited)
HELP! Oh Oh, Shimano hone/8sp Xt Shft/8spCas/ config question

HI all, Here is my problem.

I am building a new bike and have the following drivetrain parts, all new. I need to know what to do and if they are compatible. Shimano chart is a little hard to understand.
http://bike.shimano.com/publish/con...adFile.tmp/mtb cs_fc_cn compatibility.pdf.pdf

I presently have Shimano Deore HG 8sp cassette, XT 8sp shifters, Sram PC-68 chain, 2007 Shimano XT rear der - M761. and 2007 Shimano front der. M760 and the new Hone crankset - M600 that I just bought 2 minutes ago.

Will this work, or do I have to get rid of the cassette and XT shifters and run a complete 9sp setup. The Hone crankset is staying no matter what route I need to take.

Very important I get an answer for this as I can still exchange the shifters for 9sp at the LBS and just eat the 8sp cassette and chain $ loss.

I would like to keep the 8sp setup if I can, If not I am going XT 9sp cassette and 9sp XT shifters and all should be A.O.K. What Sram chain would be the best. No hollowpins as I am 230lbs.

Thx

See less See more
#2 ·
You can make it work....

but you'll need to use a 9speed chain. The spacing between the chain rings is tighter on a 9speed compatable crank set and the 8speed chain will likely drag on the next ring up from it while in the small and middle rings and certain gear combinations in the rear. Big ring wouldn't be a problem. Depending on the chain, ring spacing, and chain line it can actually lead to the chain trying to climb the next ring up in some cases. But that's a worst case type deal. The shifiting preformance in the rear will be a bit off as well. It'll work, but it's a spacing thing again. The narrower 9speed chain will be slow in moving from cog to cog due to the wider gaps between them. It'll work okay, but shifts will be noticeably slower in the rear. It's kind of a crap shoot. I've seen it work fine with 8speed cassette, chain, shifters, and a 9speed crank. And I've seen it be problematic. Usually the 9speed crank, 9speed chain, and 8speed cassette and shifters work okay, just not the optimum in shifting performance. Oh and one other option if you can find em. You might be able secure a set of 8speed spacers and chain ring bolts that will work for your cranks. It really is just a matter of spacing. The spacers would be slightly thicker and the bolts a hair longer than what is currently istalled on the crank now and would space the chain rings out for the 8speed chain. I don't recall if the Saint cranks use chainring spacers or if the rings have formed surfaces for spacing, either way you may be able to work it by just adding spacers. Your LBS should be able to help you out there.

If you can't space out the chain rings then for best performance you'd need to go full 9speed. Shifters, cassette, crank, and chain. It's up to you of course. All you can do is try. For a chain, I've always used the 991, 991 cross step, or the 971 with good results. I tip the scales at 230 myself and have never broken a SRAM chain.

Anyway, give it try and take your chances, or play it safe and roll it over completely. Your choice. The is more than one way to skin a cat! Myself I'd jut go ahead and roll it over to 9spd. Less chance of copatability issues and a wider range of components to choose from. It's getting really tough to find the higher end 8speed stuff anymore.

Good Dirt

#3 ·
Squash said:
If you can't space out the chain rings then for best performance you'd need to go full 9speed. Shifters, cassette, crank, and chain. It's up to you of course. All you can do is try. For a chain, I've always used the 991, 991 cross step, or the 971 with good results. I tip the scales at 230 myself and have never broken a SRAM chain.

Good Dirt
You da man. Thank you for taking the time to help me out.

I returned the 8sp XT shifters and got some 2007 2way release 9sp XT shifters and picked up a Rock Shox Rida Team for $500 CND at my LBS. LOL What a steal.

Anyways, I think I now have everything I need to have a pretty descent HT.

I just have to decide if i go XT cassette at 11-32 or 11-34. Any thoughts?

Out of the two 991, which one would you recommend. I have to read up on this cross step, whatever that is.

#5 ·
maida7, I've noticed that you can....

usually get away with it with the Race Face stuff. Done it myself no problem. It becomes problematic with Shimano cranks, just depends on the rest of the components. I've also noticed it with some of the "house brands" like Bontrager and the older Specialized Strong Arm stuff. Just depends.

gdl357, 11-32 or 11-34? It depends on your terrain. If you do pretty much short climbs or climbs that are not to steep, or have a nice light bike, the 11-32 should be fine. If you are riding longer climbs, lots of realatively short but steep ball busters, or a hevier duty (also heavier) bike, the 11-34 would probably be the way to go. Having the 34T cog as a bail out gear with a heavy bike or on steep climbs can be a real help.

As for the 991 chain. The regular 991 is fine. The cross step is about the same thing except it has profiled side plates. Best way is to have a 991 and a 991 cross step side by side. The difference in side plate profile is pretty obvious. The cross step is supposed to be a bit stronger. It is slightly quiter when running, and it shifts a tad better. Personally for me it doesn't matter. I just go with what's available. Usually the 991, but sometimes all I can find is the cross step. Either way they're good chains. A little on the spendy side, but I like em.

Good Dirt

#6 ·
Thx all.

I went with 11-34 and 991 Cross step. Called SRAM and Shimano before reading this post.

SRAM said to go with their strongest chain, the 991 cross step and shimano could not help me at all in choosing the cassette.

So I looked at my 8sp cassette and the cog ratios are identical (11,13,15,17,20,23,26,30) to the 11-34 but with the extra(9th cog) being 34. I went with the same ratios as the 8 sp since I am use to these ratios already and like them. The 11--32 it totally different in ratios(11,12,14...) as my 8sp.

Thx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.