1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

offset or layback seatpost

I'd like to get a little further back on my bike but I'm maxed out on the seat rails. I'm looking for a seatpost that has more than a 25mm offset, does that exist?

mtbr member
    Have you checked the Thomson?

mtbr member
    Needing that sort of post is a pretty good indicator that you're on a frame thats far too small! You should be able to find that sort of setback, but it'll put you in a pretty bad position for pedaling and overall bike handling.

Probably drunk right now
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Needing that sort of post is a pretty good indicator that you're on a frame thats far too small! You should be able to find that sort of setback, but it'll put you in a pretty bad position for pedaling and overall bike handling.
    Really? I've been running a setback post for about 8 years on a bike that I absolutely love. The bike fits me great. My pedal position great. Bike handling is superb.

For me, the setback post puts my riding position on FS bike in almost the identical position to my hardtail with a straight post.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'm riding a 2008 specialized Enduro size large and I'm 5' 11".

I was reading how to fit a bike but who knows if I'm doing it right. Says that if your sitting on the bike with pedals at 3 and 9 your first bone below the knee should be plumb with the pedal spindle. Then it also says that if you put your elbow on the tip of the seat your fingers should reach halfway up the stem.

My fingers don't even reach the stem but my knees are forward of the whole pedal. My seatpost already has an off center style bracket that already gives me an inch setback.

Is that just the shape of the frame that makes me sit that way. I honestly feel good on the bike but I do get sore knees and I'm slow as hell on this bike. Of course that could always be me not the bike.

mtbr member
    All of Truvativ's have a 25mm set back option
    TRUVATIV Stylo T20 Seatpost | SRAM a
    2013 Ellsworth Carbon Evolve XT
    2013 Ellsworth Enlightment XTR
    2013 Ellsworth Enlightment SS

Bike Shop Employee

mtbr member
    I think he was referring more to a setback post with more than 25mm of setback. Generally, if that much setback is required, your frame is too small.

The setback is just there to accommodate for longer femur length. Like stems, you can have too much.

mtbr member
    Sounds like maybe the geometry of the bike just does not work for you, sadly.

I would take it in to get a proper bike fit and see what they can do. It will be money well spent.

mtbr member
    Go to Bikepedia it list almost all the seatpost just have to search thru it,

BikePedia - Seatposts (With Integral Clamp)
    2013 Ellsworth Carbon Evolve XT
    2013 Ellsworth Enlightment XTR
    2013 Ellsworth Enlightment SS

Bike Shop Employee

Fat-tired Roadie
    For quite a lot of money, Rivendell can hook you up.
    Nitto Lugged seat post 27.2 x 250 - 11048

As others have said, it's uncommon to need more than 25 mm of setback with a correctly fitted bike. I'm going to meddle and suggest that you reevaluate your fit. Here's an article I like.

Start at the top, work through to the end, and be a little more conservative than he suggests about handlebar position if you ride off-road.
    How to Fit a Bicycle
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
    Generally, if that much setback is required, your frame is too small.
    Possibly but not necessarily.

2 or 3 degrees of difference in seat tube angles changes me from straight to set-back posts, on frames that have perfect "Reach" for me.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Cow Clicker
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Not necessarily. If you think KOPS is important, then, maybe. But, there's a lot of controversy whether or not it matters. Some big guys showing a lot of post can use a set back post to get some weight over the back wheel. Some bikes, like the Bikes Direct bikes, are notorious for having a short top tube.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    KOPS is not important. Theres of course a lot more variables to fit, but a seat stuffed way back or forward on the rails, and wanting even more room is a decent indicator that something might be funny. Of course nothing is set in stone, but out of the ordinary odd-ball bits do raise red flags.

It sounds like he might just be trying to get a KOPS fit, which shouldnt be done. If it feels good, its good.