1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Odometer and 29er

Hey all,, Probably a stupid noob question here, but do I need to get a specific type of odometer for a 29er? Only reason I ask, is because when I was a kid, all odometers were attached to the wheel and thats how it measured your mileage.

So my question is. Do they make specific odometers for 29ers? or are all the odometers gps based now?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Odometer and 29er

Usually now it's a magnetic piece that is fastened to the spokes and you set the tire size in the odometer. They can get pretty specific nowadays, they let you pick rim and tire size to get as close as possible to the correct mileage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks a lot for your help.. Do you have any that you recommend? Not looking to spend a ton of money, and it doesn't have to be %100000 spot on the mileage. Just looking for something to keep track and give me a pretty good idea of how many miles I have gone.
    Maybe one that monitors speed too.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Odometer and 29er

Quote Originally Posted by Mid_Mo_Biker View Post
    Thanks a lot for your help.. Do you have any that you recommend? Not looking to spend a ton of money, and it doesn't have to be %100000 spot on the mileage. Just looking for something to keep track and give me a pretty good idea of how many miles I have gone.
    Maybe one that monitors speed too.
    Lots of inexpensive bike computers (Cateye is good) with basic speed, time, distance functions. All can be set for 29" wheels (and much larger).

For best accuracy use the calibration instructions for "advanced" or rollout. The tire size calibration charts and very general and inaccurate.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Got one from specialized for about $30. Fairly close to strava mileage. Usually just average the two. Does time, speed, max speed, etc. Works for 26, 29, 700.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Just to bring it up, the best purchase I ever made was a Garmin GPS because of the virtual partner feature. I usually ride solo and that got me in MTB shape real fast. You can get them fairly cheap as compared to a few years ago and Garmin offers a refurb program were they will repair it after warranty for a fee. A quick look on ebay shows a few decent ones in the $100-150 price range. The Garmin EDGE 200 is the cheapest current model with an MSRP of $129.
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Lots of inexpensive bike computers (Cateye is good) with basic speed, time, distance functions. All can be set for 29" wheels (and much larger).

For best accuracy use the calibration instructions for "advanced" or rollout. The tire size calibration charts and very general and inaccurate.
    Amazon.com: Cateye CC-RD300W Strada Wireless Bicycle Computer (Black): Sports & Outdoors

Seems like this seems to be the best bang for the buck model from that company. Any personal opinions on it?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mid_Mo_Biker View Post
    Amazon.com: Cateye CC-RD300W Strada Wireless Bicycle Computer (Black): Sports & Outdoors

Seems like this seems to be the best bang for the buck model from that company. Any personal opinions on it?
    Any Cateye is fine.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Re: Odometer and 29er

If you got an Android smartphone, just download a free app that calculates your mileage. It's more convenient, especially when you switch to different bikes. And did I say the apps are free?
    What works for me may not work for you. What's best for you depends on many factors. We are different from each other.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I've got to agree, if you've got a phone and don't mind carrying it with you on rides, definitely try out something like Strava. Most apps like strava also give you the ability to map the path you took during your ride so you can visually see where you went, not just how far you went. The toughest part is remembering to start the app.

mtbr member
    Yep....a phone's the way to go.

mtbr member
    If you want accurate data (distance, average, etc.) get a bike computer and calibrate it to the wheel on your bike.
    - Be Someone

Merendon Junkie
    The bell F12 is very cheap (10 bucks) and does the job quite well. I have it on 3 bikes and they have been reliable so far.

Amazon.com: Bell DASHBOARD 100 12 Function Cyclocomputer: Sports & Outdoors

it measures: "Current speed, average speed, max speed, miles and kilometers per hour, speed, and distance, Odometer, trip distance, trip timer, 12- and 24-hour clock, scan, and auto stop/start"

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by abelfonseca View Post
    The bell F12 is very cheap (10 bucks) and does the job quite well. I have it on 3 bikes and they have been reliable so far.

Amazon.com: Bell DASHBOARD 100 12 Function Cyclocomputer: Sports & Outdoors

it measures: "Current speed, average speed, max speed, miles and kilometers per hour, speed, and distance, Odometer, trip distance, trip timer, 12- and 24-hour clock, scan, and auto stop/start"
    I have an old Bell one as well. They do the job and are a good value. I also have used those cell phone apps and they don't track as well as a dedicated GPS (or even the Bell). I live in the desert (i.e. no trees or anything to get in the way) and my strava app has sometimes tracked way way off course and back. I keep my phone in the outer pouch of my pack... I think my phone reverts to cell tower positioning and back to onboard GPS at times. A combination of an app and the Bell would proabably be the most economical... Be careful if you go the app route. I purcahsed a Garmin App a long time ago and went to install it on a new phone. I never paid attention to the permissions but it wants to access everything on your phone (contact lists, take pictures/record audio, read SMS etc etc etc).
    Killing it with close inspection.

Workin for the weekend!
    Bontrager wireless 5w. Rollout the circumference and make it dead nuts accurate.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Re: Odometer and 29er

Quote Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA View Post
    I have an old Bell one as well. They do the job and are a good value. I also have used those cell phone apps and they don't track as well as a dedicated GPS (or even the Bell). I live in the desert (i.e. no trees or anything to get in the way) and my strava app has sometimes tracked way way off course and back. I keep my phone in the outer pouch of my pack... I think my phone reverts to cell tower positioning and back to onboard GPS at times. A combination of an app and the Bell would proabably be the most economical... Be careful if you go the app route. I purcahsed a Garmin App a long time ago and went to install it on a new phone. I never paid attention to the permissions but it wants to access everything on your phone (contact lists, take pictures/record audio, read SMS etc etc etc).
    The way to force your phone to use GPS only for accuracy is to switch to airplane mode. Also, it consumes less battery that way.

It's very true there are apps which maliciously require access to phone info and functions it should never have access to. That's why I avoided the apps recommended by other posters in this forum. I also dislike having to sign up to certain websites to use the app. So I use CycleDroid instead.
    What works for me may not work for you. What's best for you depends on many factors. We are different from each other.