1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Oak Mountain

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Oak Mountain

I'm new to mountain biking. I was a bmx rider all my youth and now at 30 i'm gettin back into ridin. Back in Feb I bought a Trek 4300. I wanted a Specialized or Gary Fisher but could not afford it at the time. LBS showed me the option of the Trek. If I bought the other bikes I couldn't afford any thing to go with it. I needed everything. Helmet, gloves, shorts, .......list goes on and on. Startin from scratch. So for now I'll start with the Trek 4300.

Anyhow, I really do like the bike. I have been to Chicasaboo, Baton Rouge, and Oak Mountain. Loved Oak Mountain. Put about 32 miles on there last Saturday and Sunday.
    Each place I rode I kept up just fine. I tried to push the bike and my self to the limits. Got some nice air in a few spots and took some nice spills as well. Met some really nice guys from a LBS on the trail at Oak Mountain. Let me try his Specialized HT. Nice. So far the bike is holding up fine. Have nothing bad to say about it. Sure there are some nicer bikes but for right now I am having a blast with mine.

ride hard take risks
    Awsome, keep on ridin on!!

SALLGUD
    Oak Mountain is indeed a sweet place to ride. It offers nearly every type of riding, from nice flowing singletrack to wide open bombing runs. Some good climbing too.

The wife and I stopped by there last year on our drive from SC to TX and got in some nice miles. We liked it so much that went back again. You can get in a bunch of really good miles there, and met a bunch of really nice people.

This year we plan on going there for 3-4 days in Aug and staying in our fifth wheel at the state park.

Michael

P.S. Keep hammering! Sometimes I feel worthy of the bike I am riding (currently an '06 Spec. Stumpy FSR), and sometimes I feel so darn slow I nearly convince myself I am not even worthy of a Huffy!