1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011

number of holes in the rim (32 vs 36)

I am about to buy Mavic 2012 TN719 Disc Rims, and I am wondering whether I should buy the 32 holes version or the one with 36 holes. I am around 220 pounds.

Nickel Havr
    Go with the 36 hole... It will be stronger!
    You'll need a 36 hole hub too....
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

Only 5 lives left
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckstream1 View Post
    Go with the 36 hole... It will be stronger!
    You'll need a 36 hole hub too....
    And 36 spokes

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    lol guys

how about what is good 36 hub set

im about the same weight as that guy i have been looking at same thing

there is few options out there

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    LOL. Maybe I should have phrased my question differently (or should have been more elaborative). My bad. So here I come for the 2nd time: Is the difference in strength between wheels equiped with 32 and 36 spokes something I should definitely consider given my 220 pounds, or is it so minor that it doesn't really matter? The Mavic C29ssmax wheel has only 24 spokes, yet it bears no weight restrictions.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by bardynt View Post
    lol guys

how about what is good 36 hub set

im about the same weight as that guy i have been looking at same thing

there is few options out there
    Chris King or Hadley

Former Bike Wrench
    The C29ssmax rim has a distinct advantage in that it has a solid inner wall vs 32-36 holes drilled in it (not counting the valve hole).

At 220lbs, your likely going to be fine with a 32 hole build...I've been heavier than that at times in my life and did just fine. That said, a 36 hole build will be a little stronger if your looking for added durability or security.

mtbr member
    Mavic uses a proprietary spokes and materials for those wheels, some others come with less spokes. Some live by them others wont go near. Some shops can help quickly when a spoke breaks and others you will be waiting for parts.

If your going to use a standard style spoke, dt swiss/wheelsmith/etc, then 36 rear is what I would use, and I weigh 220 also.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sea monster View Post
    LOL. Maybe I should have phrased my question differently (or should have been more elaborative). My bad. So here I come for the 2nd time: Is the difference in strength between wheels equiped with 32 and 36 spokes something I should definitely consider given my 220 pounds, or is it so minor that it doesn't really matter? The Mavic C29ssmax wheel has only 24 spokes, yet it bears no weight restrictions.
    Either will be fine, you may want to go with whatever one you can get a better deal on, parts being equal otherwise.

Clyde
    I have 2 years of hard riding in Utah on a set of stans flow rims on hope pro2 hubs. 32 spoke. Smooth and true after two years. 1900 grams for the set. my trail weight is between 240 and 250 on a 6 inch travel bike. Paid $400 for the set which can be had for $475 through crc today. I would be good with a 32 unless it is for DH or you are over 280 on a FS or 250 on a HT then only the rear wheel. I did replace one spoke which was hammered by a errant rock.

Lucky
    09 Ibis Mojo - All Mountain Moab Edition

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thank you all for the info. It helps me a great deal to handle my cognitive dissonance (and lack of knowledge) when it comes to purchasing parts for my build
    Last edited by sea monster; 01-05-2012 at 04:53 PM.