Thread: Numb Hands

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Numb Hands

I'm new to mountain biking and after about 4 miles my left hand will start to go numb. Any ideas on adjustments I can make to relieve this?

Fat-tired Roadie
    Bars higher. Bars lower. Bars closer. Bars further. Different angle for your controls.

It can take a little experimentation. Start with what seems intuitive, then try something else if you don't get anywhere.

You'll have to readjust your headset if you move your stem. There's a step-by-step procedure on parktool.com.

Good luck!
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    You could simply be gripping too hard. Try to loosen your grip and relax a little bit.

mtbr member
    maybe you need to do some preliminary stretching first before going on a ride. And also just try to enjoy while riding don't pressure yourself to go further relax while riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Grips with wrist support can help a lot too

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    What WNCGoater says. A light grip on the handlebars, and don't fight the shaking when you go over roots and stuff.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    There's so many factors that can lead to discomfort but for me i found that if I'm reaching too far I get that. Bringing the handlebars in with a shorter stem helps, and a wider bar helps too. Depends on your body and current setup though.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisF View Post
    What WNCGoater says. A light grip on the handlebars, and don't fight the shaking when you go over roots and stuff.
    I suggest that because as a new mtbr it happens to me.
    I first had issues, years ago, gripping a kayak paddle too hard. I ended up with tendonitis in my elbow. I get the same issues with gripping a golf club too hard. It can cause the tendonitis to flare up and cause hand numbness. I've learned over the years to lighten up, relax, and rarely have issues anymore.

Then I started mountain biking and as DennisF says above ^ I found myself having numb hands and realized I was really fighting the roots and rocks, trying to stay in control by force. I learned years ago with riding motocycles cross country, "go with the flow" don't control by force but by balance.
    Same with a kayak, go with the flow, become part of the boat.

Being new to mountain biking, I'm realizing the same thing, "become part of the bike" and ride it relaxed, becoming part of the bike and control by balance and skill, not force. Heck, I sometimes get numb hands riding a road bike and realize I'm simply gripping the handlebars too tightly.

This helps me if I relax and particularly, relax my grip a bit.

Now having said all that, as ou2mame and others indicate, it could be a geometry issue I suppose. I've just not been into mtn biking enough to understand and comment so I'll leave that to those more knowledgeable.

But I do know, the first thing I'd try is to get comfortable riding relaxed and easing up on grip pressure.

I also just bought some half finger glacier gloves with gel padding. They seem to make the ride a bit more comfortable.

mtbr member
    The title is Numb Hands, but you say only the left hand goes numb.

Traditionally, having numbs hands indicates that you are putting too much weight on the handlebars, too low, too much reach, but it can even be something like saddle tilt.

If you go to Peter White cycles there is a good write up on bike fit. The gist of it is balance. In my mind you should feel as though you are able to ride (balance wise and not skill wise) without even putting your hands on the bar.

That said, as others have pointed out it could be gripping the handlebars too tightly, especially if it is only the left hand. But 4 miles is not a very long distance and as a beginner you may not be taking on very tough terrain. You may want to see how riding lighter on the bars works out, but I'm thinking bike fit.

John
    1995 Trek 970 - 80mm Atom Race
    1992 Serotta T-Max - 70mm Z3 Light
    1993 GT All Terra - 46mm Mag 21
    (STOLEN)

mtbr member
    I use to have this issue and switched to ergo grips and the problem went away.