1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: numb hands

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

numb hands

Been playing with ideas on how to keep my hands from going numb when riding. I've changed grips, upgraded my bike to one with disc brakes. I've heard that tilting the seat helps so I'm going to try that.

I'm thinking maybe handlebars with risers could help to. What do you guys think?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    A low riser bar(15-21mm) can have sweep of 9 degrees or 12 degrees as well as maybe 5 degrees rise which can help. I also use Ergon grips for more support area. Zero numbness.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    ty. any tips on affordable brands /styles?

Hi There!
    Quote Originally Posted by cdeno0001 View Post
    Been playing with ideas on how to keep my hands from going numb when riding. I've changed grips, upgraded my bike to one with disc brakes. I've heard that tilting the seat helps so I'm going to try that.

I'm thinking maybe handlebars with risers could help to. What do you guys think?
    there could be so many different reasons for having numb hands...i hope it's not that you are on the wrong size bike. did the place where you bought your bike do a fitting for you? this is important.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    yeah, I'm 6ft and have a Large frame bike... I think I'm getting to much wt on my hands/wrists in my riding position.

EDR

Re: numb hands

A little more upright riding position might help. (Bars...stem angle, making sure your seat is not tilted down at all )Takes a little weight of the bars if you're leaning too much on your front and. Look at the Ergon grips as well. I hate them but my buddy loves them he has bigger hands than me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Options--
    Move your seat back on rails or setback post and bars with a shorter stem.
    Drop your seat height.
    Riser bar and rotate it back.
    All will adjust your balance point on the bike.

Cow Clicker
    You likely have a weak core and are using the grips to hold yourself up instead of your core. On the flat sections, your forearms should be parallel to the ground.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

numb hands

I would first try to turn down you brake levers and make sure you wrist is flat with knuckles when your in your riding position. I had the same problem and found my brake levers were just too high.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Make sure you aren't gripping the bars any tighter than necessary.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by M320 View Post
    I would first try to turn down you brake levers and make sure you wrist is flat with knuckles when your in your riding position. I had the same problem and found my brake levers were just too high.
    Cheapest thing to check. I see a lot of people with the levers way too high. They have to keep their wrist twisted while riding to keep a finger on the lever.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    try increase the degrees on your stem, it has gotten rid of numbness.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisF View Post
    Make sure you aren't gripping the bars any tighter than necessary.
    This is the issue I have on downhill sections - my death grip on the handle bars while trying to modulate the brakes effectively.