1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Novice upgrades...

Hi,
    I'm a fairly new rider and recently got a new bike a KTM L Sport 26
    Name:  l-1003574_1.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  38.0 KB
    I'm from the Czech Republic so bear in mind the bike probably isnt available in the US or any other part of Europe really It was a pain in the ass to get it here aswell And I ended up paying a whopping 620 Eur ( nearly 830 Usd or 530 Gbp ) which I later relised was allot for a bike with mostly Shimano Alivio components accept for the rear derailleur which is an SLX

So anyway Ive had it for about a month now and rode over 300 Km (about 180 miles) and Im loving it allot The frame is gorgeous and the tires (Continental Raceking 2.0 ) are an extreme upgrade from my previous bike

Back to the topic then -> when I was picking it I was doing tons of research to get the best bang for my buck, so now I think Im pretty knowladeable about parts,etc. but no experience on the mecanichal part sadly (or luckily ) yet So anyway my friend has this pretty good bike. The frame is so so,but the parts are all Deore XT's with the exception of the rear derailleur which is an SLX like mine but 3 years older. Which comes down to the facr that he bought the bike second hand of e-bay. The dude selling it had it from new ( 3 years ago when it was current ) and apparently done only 200 miles on it just going to work and back (which he probably did,since the tires are bearly touched). But it all falls down to the price (which suprised me a bit to be honest) since he only paid 300 Euros ( about 415 USD or 250 GBP). He's been giving me a hard time sice, and keeps coming up with sh*t that his derailleur's and flickers are better and that
    To be honest I don't mind, since I'm still in love with my KTM L Sport 26 and it's everything I ever asked for But down the line I plan on upgrading it (a year,maybe two it really depends when stuff starts breaking since I don't want to change brand new parts ) So I have three questions ->

1. What parts are worth upgrading ? I deffinitly want to upgrade both derailleurs and the flickers to atleast Deore XT's or maybe even XTR's. Price is not the issue, but a nice bonus if kept low

2. How hard is it to upgrade these things with a basic toolkit ? Since I've never upgraded my bike (or had anything to upgrade for that matter ). I've watched a tonnage of YouTube vids of "how to's" for upgrading parts like deraillerus adn tuning them and I think I could handle it, it's just that if it does go wrong, I don't have a local bike shop to go to

3.How long do parts usually last ? (check the spec sheet which I will post below this question )

Thanks everyone for you're contributions! Here's the promised spec sheet ->

Frame : alu 6061
    Fork : Suntour SF13-XCM MLO
    Gears : 27
    Front derailleur : Shimano Alivio
    Flickers : Shimano Alivio with Rapidfire
    Rear derailleur : Shimano SLX
    Crankset : Shimano M371
    Bottom bracket : Shimano UN26 BSA
    Rims: Ryde Taurus 2000
    Tyres : Continental Race King 2.0

Thanks again !

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'm not sure if you will notice a huge difference with upgraded derailleurs. I think the money would be better spent on a nice wheel set and a tubeless conversion.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by A DuB View Post
    I'm not sure if you will notice a huge difference with upgraded derailleurs. I think the money would be better spent on a nice wheel set and a tubeless conversion.
    Any suggestions/recommendations ?? If you have some products in mind please link them thanks and tubeless is a great idea ! Any brands in mind ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If you want to make a significant improvement and get your friend interested, put on a SLX front brake from Bike24. It is an amazing 1 finger brake with good modulation with the icetech pads. You may need the mounting adapter. Both you guys should go for it. You first.
    Bike24 - Shimano SLX BR-M675 + BL-M675 Disc Brake front
    Works good with this HS1 rotor from ebay.
    Bike 6" Disc Brake Rotor 6 Bolts 160mm Avid HS1 CS Cleansweep Stainless BB5 BB7 | eBay

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hard to answer on how long parts last .How ,how often where you ride all make a difference. If you keep riding like you have been and keep up with cleaning and lubing .Maybe a year out the chain and cables . 6 to 9 months out of tires. Hard to say on the shifters ,I have some that are (xt's) 15 years old. Derailluars maybe a coulpe of years.Cassette two to three if you replace the chain often.

Feeling retro..but Jung
    "don't buy upgrades ride up grades" Eddy Merckx
    I mean if there were jobs then we wouldn't be on the dole then maybe we'd be singing about love and kissing-Joe Strummer

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Germany_chris View Post
    +1 on this
    True, very true..

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Germany_chris View Post
    Good, but realistic? No one on these boards has followed this advice.
    Should be
    "Don't just buy upgrades, ride up grades."