1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Not to beat a dead horse but... correct frame size - 16" or 18"

I know this has been brought up time and again but I want to be sure I'm getting the right size.

Bought a 16" Raleigh Talus 4.0. I'm 5'6", ~31" inseam. I can fit on it but for the proper leg extension, the seat is just about to the minimum insertion mark. The seat is about level with the handlebars.

Does that mean the bike's too small for me? Or can it be normal to have the seat so far out? I can post a pic if it would help. I sat on the 18" too. It fits my legs well but just 'feels' too big overall.

Any insight or advice would be appreciated! Thanks.

local trails rider
    Looking at the Talus geometry numbers, I'm sure the 18" would be too long for you.
    Raleigh Bicycles Talus 4.0

How long is the seat post (from rail to the end)? Minimum insertion should be fine but - being a heavier guy - I like to have some more than minimum inside the frame.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Get a 400mm seatpost or run with your seat a little low for the flats so it"s a fit in the steeps where it counts. Leg extension is more important in road riding and flat XC. Think of dropper seatposts for al mountain/DH. The more technical you ride the less seat height you need It seems the rest of the fit is ok. You can get a setback seatpost and a different stem and sweep range bars with rise or without to adjust cockpit.

T.W.O.
    You have pretty long legs for 5'6" I agree with perttime effective top tube is one of the most important number to look at when it comes to fit. How long is the seatpost? You may need to get a longer post, and it's also ok to for the saddle height to be 1"-2" above the handlebar. I hope you don't need anymore than that.

Just Ride
    There's been a lot of dead horses bein beaten these days round here.
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    You have pretty long legs for 5'6"
    Yeah, I think I'm disproportionate. Nothing like a bike fitting to realize you're a freak. lol

The seat post is 350mm so I may look for a longer one as suggested.

Thank you for all your input! It's so nice to be able to ask people who know.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Here's a picture of the bike. It just seems the seat post is so extended... does it look ridiculous? I guess what I'm asking is are people going to look at me and think I should have gotten a bigger bike? The guy at the bike store wasn't overly helpful as he said people my height generally get a 16".

Do other people ride this way?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Ignore that bar across the top, it's a mount for a child seat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Not to beat a dead horse but... correct frame size - 16" or 18"-img_9937.jpg  

Last edited by Dundee85; 08-05-2012 at 03:11 PM.

duh
    well put it this way with that bar there and you get the 18", is there enough clearance between the child seat bar and you. Just think if you have to stop in a hurry and you slide off the seat, will the bar hurt.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    If I straddle that bar, I have zero clearance... point taken. Thank you.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundee85 View Post
    Here's a picture of the bike. It just seems the seat post is so extended... does it look ridiculous? I guess what I'm asking is are people going to look at me and think I should have gotten a bigger bike? The guy at the bike store wasn't overly helpful as he said people my height generally get a 16".

Do other people ride this way?
    That looks normal to me, welcome to the XC world of mountain biking Some bikes are design with the lower stand over so the post tends to show more but it does the same job. Here are a few example of mine. Don't worry so much about what others may think.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    That looks normal to me, welcome to the XC world of mountain biking Some bikes are design with the lower stand over so the post tends to show more but it does the same job. Here are a few example of mine. Don't worry so much about what others may think.
    That's great to see. Thanks for sharing. You're right, if the bike suits me I shouldn't worry about it. Cute dog btw.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundee85 View Post
    That's great to see. Thanks for sharing. You're right, if the bike suits me I shouldn't worry about it. Cute dog btw.
    Thanks she was a trail brat, she went on the ride with me at least twice a week for 12 years, she passed away a few years ago so now I'm training 2 new trail brats, and they have big paws to fill