1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Northrock -> Jamis dragon 650

Well I had a northrock for about two year. Didn't ride it much. And when I did it was all paved roads.

I never a problem with it but sold it a few months ago. Weather got nice and about a month ago ordered a jamis dragon 650 sport.

Right from the start you can feel the weight difference! The jamis is a lot lighter even with the seat bag/ and onguard lock

I'm about 5'8 or so and went with a 17" frame. Feels pretty good but still needs some adjustments. I feel like my arms are in a good position but my legs/butt seems kind of off somehow. I'm no experts so I'll leave it alone for now.

I went to a local hiking trail near my house, Beaudry loop. This was my first time and it was great for the first 50 or so yards. Then it was all steep uphill. Pretty much walked the bike up and only went about 1/4 of the way.
    The ride down was pretty fun,fast and scary at the same time. The back end kept sliding out during breaking and turns so I had to take it slow. This was my first time ever on anything except pavement.

Anyways , just wanted to say hi and show the bike for those beginners looking for a new bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Better fork on your new ride.
    Check your air pressure. Off road you get better traction, cornering and braking with lower psi. You can lower until you get rim hits or the tire rolls over in the turns. That could mean 20 or less in the front and 25 or so in the rear unless you are somewhat heavy.
    Road tire pressure is much higher.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Run your pressure too low, and you run the risk of a pinch flat. You may want to get a bit more comfortable on the bike before you start making tire pressure adjustments just to familiarize yourself with the bike and how it will handle.
    '13 FELT TK3 / '09 Jamis Sonik
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2014 miles - 2319/2500

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks for the tips. I'm going to play with the seat front to back. I raised the the seat post about 2-3in and felt a lot better.
    From the vids and info I've been looking up, says my knee needs to be inline with the front of the pedel. But right now I have about 2in gap from the pedal to my knee line.
    So I'll try that first and I'll ask more questions soon. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Im sure you're already aware of this but just in case. Make sure when your descending to be off the saddle so you can absorb any bumps and better shift your weight according to the trail.
    2010 D440 Redline Rigid 1x9
    2011 Trek Remedy 8 1x10
    2012 Jamis Dragon 2x10
    2013 Diamondback Sortie 3 1x10

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Yup! After the first turn I got off the seat real quick. I was bouncing around and couldn't really control the bike. I was on the brakes quit a bit after that.